Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after trying several grain free kibbles (TOTW, Acana, Fromm) I'm starting to think our 6 month old choc pup needs grain. All of those foods resulted in soft stools and his anal glands have been filling up monthly like clockwork. Our vet recommended feeding him a kibble WITH grain but none of those are 5 star foods.

Can anyone recommend a healthy kibble with grain for a puppy? Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Fromm makes excellent grain inclusive foods.
I feed all grain free Fromm (and all grain free foods in general) but if I were to feed a grain inclusive food I would still feed Fromm.
Don't get hung up on "5 star" foods.....feed the food that works best for your pup.

If your pup is only 6 months old grain free food may just be too rich for him right now. You can try again when he is over a year old.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Amen, those dogfoodanalysis sites have everyone brain-washed.

Look at Pro Plan Sport 26/16.
+1 totally agree. Many top breeders feed Pro Plan. They are certainly quite invested in their dogs and are happy with the results they get with that food. I fed this specific food to an emaciated foster I had and he looked amazing in just 3 weeks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fromm puppy gold is a great food, I do not care for their large breed. I think it's 4 star, but who really cares. If you really want a 5 star grain inclusive, Dr Tim's Kinesis and Pursuit are good and fit the bill. Most of the 5 star foods have very high protein, and remember you are feeding a puppy...it can give them loose stool!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I like this site for dog food information: The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare? You have to work harder on this site. It explains ingredients so you learn the benefits and drawbacks of each to make your own decision. The author has some biases which she states but there is no pressure to go with her ideas. If you did you'd feed raw. :) I think there is a section which ranks food somewhere but it is very old and should be taken off the site, don't bother looking at it.

FWIW the food I use the most is Eukanuba Adult Maintenance. My Labs have done great on it and my breeder managed Breeder of the Year award using this food. The dog food advisor/analyst sites hate it because of the corn.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Corn has the worst reputation, but some great foods include it. Annamaet comes to mind. I wonder if there is no harm if your dog is not allergic.

·
Registered
476 Posts
►Corn often gets an undeserved bad reputation. While it is not acceptable as a main source of protein in a dog food (as it is used in combination with corn gluten), as a source of carbohydrates it is no better and no worse than other grains in terms of nutritional value and digestibility. The starch part of corn is highly digestible but the whole ground product has a higher fiber content than other grains (around 7%), which results in slightly larger stools - often incorrectly interpreted as lack of digestibility. Unless an individual dog is intolerant or allergic to corn, there is no need to avoid products which include it in reasonable amounts.

A recent concern about corn is the increased amount of aflatoxins now allowed in dog food.

I feed a food with corn as the main filler. My dog's poops are number 2 on the infamous chart. :) But then they are on his grain free Acana that uses potato as filler and his other grain inclusive food that uses mostly oats, as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dog food selection is tough. Everyone has something to say about it all. I say read the ingredients, (thats what i do) and if something does not sit right with what your reading go to the next bag. Read! Educate yourself. My pup does great on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy. Solid stools. Lots of energy. And I can understand and pronounce everything in the ingredient list. I shop that way for myself as well. Good luck finding a good dog food! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how about a spoonful of plain pumpkin?
We tried that for a few weeks but didn't see any improvement :eek:hwell:

One of our friends recommended Acana Chicken & Burbank Potato and it looks decent. Has anyone had success with this?

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I like Fromm in general, all their foods so you can start with them. Acana is good too, so if that is one you want to try go ahead. Go! and Now! are also good foods.

Also keep in mind that feedign too much, even just a little bit too much, can cause issues.

·
Registered
476 Posts
We tried that for a few weeks but didn't see any improvement :eek:hwell:

One of our friends recommended Acana Chicken & Burbank Potato and it looks decent. Has anyone had success with this?
Another note on the corn in food. If it does indeed make the stool larger then that is what you want. Larger stools are more likely to press on the anal glands and help clear them out. My dog gets three different foods as I said above and I honestly don't see any difference in stool, size, amount, frequency, anything so it's a guess as to whether your dog would be different.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
ProPlan. I've tried almost all of the grain free foods and the ProPlan was the food I kept going back to because the stools were the best on it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I started Molly on Fromm Puppy Gold this week and really could not be happier. Less poop than with Blue Buffalo and clearly more energy. $47 for 33lbs isn't too bad either.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He just turned 6 months and he's a pretty big boy (69 pounds) but not overweight. His dad is 115 pounds and pure muscle

I see they have 3 options for the Sport formula and all of them look similar. Would the Advanced (28/18) be a safe bet?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts