Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supposedly I have a good grip and a good stance, but I keep straightening up and swinging over the ball. Sometimes I hit the top of the ball and sometimes I miss completely (so embarrassing.)

It doesn't matter how much I try to concentrate on NOT pulling up, I still do. Someone help me! Am I just hopeless?

·
Registered
38 Posts
try not concentrating so much...thinking gets in the way

remember, swing through the ball...the ball is just something in the
path of a good golf swing....a good drill is to swing with just the
right hand...it will train you to swing through the target

good luck

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
My first thought exacty, Laura. WTH is Robin? :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Another martini in the clubhouse before the first tee should help.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, my head stays down. It's the whole top half of my body that comes up.

a good drill is to swing with just the
right hand...it will train you to swing through the target
Thanks. I'll give that a try. See if I can keep from launching the club somewhere behind me. =)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Your problem is that you are lifting up. I think women have the problem more than men because they are less likely to have played other sports where you hit a ball or a puck.

The cure. Have somebody face you on the driving range, take your stance, and have them put their hand just above your head. Swing at the ball without letting your head come up and touch their hand. Once you get a feeling for how the swing is supposed to feel, it all gets easier. It's a muscle memory thing.

And jmac is right, the first thing anybody taught me was not to swing at the ball. The ball is merely an impediment to the swing; don't aim at it, just go right through it. Women get less yardage than men for lots of reasons, but a main one is that yardage requires clubhead speed. Men swing the club, women try to control it and they never build up any speed.

We call a swing and a miss a "Swammie". We then sing the old Al Jolson song but we say Swammie instead of Mammie. Yes, we are easily entertained.

I find a Smirnoff Ice works better than a martini, but that's just me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

Now I'm going to have to buy golf clubs so I can go to the range whenever instead of having to tag along with my club-owning friends.

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
I second the martini before going to the first tee blocks.

It is more difficult for women also I think due to the boobage.

Hope you find a solution.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I second the martini before going to the first tee blocks.

It is more difficult for women also I think due to the boobage.

Hope you find a solution.

My SIL got a reduction for that exact reason. It didn't lower her handicap though. She can't putt for sh__.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so tell me....

I can't spend a ton on golf clubs since I'm just going to do this hit and miss (literally.) The friend I took lessons with keeps telling how much good clubs make all the difference, but she has a $600 set of Callaways. And while I know people spend a LOT more than that on clubs, $600 just can't happen for me. I'm thinking around $200.

I've found these:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...Id=3498843&cp=2367438.2367822.2273502.2273503

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8072911

****'s used to have another set for that price, but it's not on their website now - could still be in the store though. I have 15% off at ****'s - wish I had a couple more choices there.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually didn't even think about it, James. Will have to check it out.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My SIL got a reduction for that exact reason. It didn't lower her handicap though. She can't putt for sh__.
That is funny.

I had 2 amazing golf seasons (both when I was pregnant). I always attributed it to the extra weight (boobs and belly). I thought for sure the extra weight gave me more power :D. I actually shot better the bigger I got. :confused:

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Okay, so tell me....

I can't spend a ton on golf clubs since I'm just going to do this hit and miss (literally.) The friend I took lessons with keeps telling how much good clubs make all the difference, but she has a $600 set of Callaways. And while I know people spend a LOT more than that on clubs, $600 just can't happen for me. I'm thinking around $200.

I've found these:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...Id=3498843&cp=2367438.2367822.2273502.2273503

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8072911

****'s used to have another set for that price, but it's not on their website now - could still be in the store though. I have 15% off at ****'s - wish I had a couple more choices there.

What do you guys think?
Honestly, for a beginner, expensive clubs won't make a difference. Try going to ****'s to see what they have. They are going to be a lot more helpful than the people at Walmart. I took my son to ****'s to get new clubs in the spring, and they were very helpful. He wanted an expensive set of clubs, but they actually talked him into a cheaper set. He got a set of Walter Hagen clubs (I think we paid $120 or so), and he really likes them. He is playing really well with them too (he is 11, and consistently shoots in the low 50's).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Callaway clubs are nice.

I have a few but not the whole set.

The thing that I tell myself so that I don't lift and top the ball is "Dig that club into the ground"
Not sure why but it helps me.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Melissa--

Robin's got great info on keeping your head down. I always make sure I have someone else watch the ball for me and I keep my eyes on the place where the ball is/was even through the finish of my swing. My Dad's been giving lessons and coaching for 25 years and has a device that you stand in that helps.

One drill that we use is putting a tee in (no ball) and making THAT the target. When you can effectively take out the tee, then remove it and concentrate on making a nice divot in it's place.

Another remedy if you aren't getting down on the ball (or if you're topping it) is to try widening your stance slightly.

Remember, golf is about angles and part of the way we propel the ball is with the glancing blow right behind the ball, down and through.

There are other factors that can affect this too-- whether you are keeping your arms close to your body or letting them flop etc.

Find a golf coach or pro that you trust and he or she will be able to watch your total swing and help ya :)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I don't have much of an opinion on the Walmart clubs other than the fact that it's not really the kind of thing you ought to buy at Walmart. The ****'s set looks fine except for the fact that some clubs are graphite and others are steel shafts. Graphite is much lighter and makes it a lot easier to get the ball in the air; that's a big deal for the new player and especially for women. I don't see any sense in a mixed set other than the fact that it makes it a little cheaper for the manufacturer.

I'd really check e-bay and craig's list. People tend to dump clubs cheaply when they realize they aren't going to play.

Another idea, check with the women's club at the course at which you are playing. They may know somebody who is buying better clubs or can't play anymore. You could stumble into a pretty good deal.

Be careful, though. A few months from now you'll be ordering $400 drivers like I just did and trying to figure out how to slip it into your bag without the husband seeing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts