Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....Holy hell Macy is shedding like she's got another dog living under that coat with her! I don't remember this happening last year - this time last year she was 9 months old, if that makes a difference.

Is this normal this time of year? Is she blowing coat? Do you all brush your Goldens every single day? I've been trying to, but it doesn't seem to help much. :eek:

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I used to use a pin brush on Murphy once a day, and that seemed to help a lot. At least it cut down on the tumbleweeds in the house!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Benson shed really bad this year, too. I recommend the furminator. It's awesome! I got mine brand new on ebay for $17.99. They normally sell retail for 55!:eek:

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I used to brush Reggie everyday. He was horrible. I thought he was always blowing coat!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I can't stand the pin brush, Jackie!! I bought one just for her, but I can't get the **** hair out of it!!!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Shedding patterns were WAY weird this year, Amy. Wes had nothing coming out, and then in April, we hit 1-2-3 90 degree days. And he started dropping hair. And then it got chilly again. And he stopped. And then the temp SLOWLY started rising, and about a month ago, he was just blanketing everything in falling fur.

He seems to be done now, thankthelord.

So maybe Macy's just catching up with the weather??

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
gah..my two (mostly tuck i think) has been shedding horrible all summer.. it's so weird.. how does he have any left? And i furminate!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought it was a Golden thing since my boys aren't shedding badly right now. Macy though, I can pull clumps out of her butt with my hand.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Brooklyn usually blows her coat in May (and develops her severe allergies) but with the crazy weather she just started her serious shed (and itchies) a couple of weeks ago. Everything seems to be a couple months off.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I thought it was a Golden thing since my boys aren't shedding badly right now. Macy though, I can pull clumps out of her butt with my hand.
Oh I was pulling clumps out of Buck's butt from May-couple weeks ago (he's a lab though) :p I think its the weather. Every time it gets hot and humid his hair falls off in clumps and his ears get terribly filled with brown gunk! :eek:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Max isn't shedding too badly right now but I expect him to start blowing his coat in a couple of weeks. I like shed golden fur because it doesn't stick into anything and it's easily vacuumed up.

What I hate is when his butt feathers get matted up and I have to start cutting away.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Oh I can't stand the pin brush, Jackie!! I bought one just for her, but I can't get the **** hair out of it!!!!
It's easier to clean if it's REALLY full of hair. I'd just run a finger between a row of pins and raise the mat of hair up, then it would pull right off.

That is when I had to stop using my Oreck vacuum, though. Murphy's long hair would clog up the tube and I'd have to take it apart and clean it. We made a tool from a straightened wire hanger, with a loop on one end, to pull the hair through and out. What a pain!

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I used the pin brushes on my Golden boy as well, loved them. I never had problem getting the hair out of them, the ones I got had a bit of a flex to them and you kind of bent it as you pulled the hair, it usually came out in one big clump.

When I had my Golden the Furminator wasn't around. I think I'd try it. I love the Furminator on my labs. I don't use it all that often, maybe twice a month, but it really does get that undercoat out.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
I used the pin brushes on my Golden boy as well, loved them. I never had problem getting the hair out of them, the ones I got had a bit of a flex to them and you kind of bent it as you pulled the hair, it usually came out in one big clump.

When I had my Golden the Furminator wasn't around. I think I'd try it. I love the Furminator on my labs. I don't use it all that often, maybe twice a month, but it really does get that undercoat out.
I love the furminator. Does a great job.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
My Jo hardly ever sheds for a lab, this year he is crazy shedding, and Indy, well he's a fur blower extraordinaire....

I didnt notice as much from the golden during the summer because I used to have him shaved down quite a bit. He had the really curly hair that would just mat up with all the swimming, so we buzzed him down so he was more comfortable...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts