Just Labradors banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss' baby (almost 9 months old now) is getting baptized next weekend. While they're not particularly religious, I think his family is (they're Greek). I'm pretty sure my boss and his wife don't go to church every Sunday, if at all, but apparently it's a big thing in the Greek community?

Anyway, I was invited to the baptism and they're having a reception afterwards.

Ideas for gifts??

Thanks, in advance! :)

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Yes, but you need the SS# to buy them. I know I wouldn't give anyone my SS# for it.

I actually know someone that complained that their child got them a their baby dedication. They said it was a cheap gift. I said well I am glad that I that I wasn't able to buy one and then preceded to remind them that it would be worth a lot more when he was 18.

I am not friends with them any longer. they were way too snooty. I flew from Michigan to Florida for this.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I think you have to have a ssn to purchase a savings bond, but it doesn't have to be the recipient's. The bank will need the recipient's SSN when they go to redeem the bond.

I haven't had to buy one in a few years, but your local bank can tell you if you're interested. SB is what I normally give for this sort of occasion. But I have seen people give clothes, toys, jewelry, money - just like for a birthday or shower.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I got a lovely gift for a christening from Red Envelope. They have a baby prints frame with a central spot for a picture and 2 other spots for imprints of hand and foot. It was really well received and quite unique.

Red Envelope actually has quite a few rather special baby gifts.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Oh wanted to add that my Greek friends invited me to 5 Orthodox Cristenings (many years ago). The ceremony was quite interesting to witness. It was fun to learn about their traditions. And what fabulous receptions they always had. Really big deal like a wedding with tons of food and a DJ - the whole nine yards. Not sure if the one you're going to will be as elaborate, but I remember them all fondly.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I've been to one of these. Not sure what to bring, although Catholics are big on child bibles, little statues of the patron saint, that sort of thing, but just wanted to say, do not eat before you go. If it's going to be a big event, there will be more food than you've ever seen in one place and all of it really good.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
One gift that I like to give for a baptism or christening is a silver bank. With some money in it. (Depending on your budget. )
Here is one that would be cute for a boy.
http://www.silvergallery.com/sgRB-621.html

If it is a girl, you could always give a silver or gold necklace--something that she could wear when she is older.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I'm not Greek, nor do I go to church very often, but I am Catholic... and I will say that the little figurines and traditional picture frames that were given to Ben for his baptism are still in their packaging in my hope chest... they are nice and all, but they just aren't our style, and we aren't overly religious. Its not that I don't appreciate the thought behind it, and I have true Catholic guilt over not using them! ;)

I think money or a bond is good... we put any money we received for Ben into his education savings account. Or if your boss has any sports team favourites, or hobbies, then a pint-sized fan outfit for the baby would be cute and personal.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I went to a Greek Baptism last year. My friend's son was being baptised. We gave money. It is quite the ceremony. I was the photographer for the event. The man that was video taping said it's not that much different than a Catholic Baptism, they just do everything 3 times! LOL. A lot of it is in Greek also. There is more food than you can ever eat. They brought to Ozo out later. I was a fun afternoon. I am glad that we were a part of their day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.