Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to meet MIL's new "friend" tonight... *SUCCESS*

...and Paul isn't really thrilled about it. It's been almost 13 years since his Dad has died, and she's been alone the whole time. I'm happy for her! She claims they're just friends, but at the same time her face lights up when she talks about him (which is constantly). It will be a bit odd, I think, meeting him in the house where Paul grew up and the house that his father died in.

Should be interesting.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Good for her!!! 13 yrs. is a long time to be alone. It's nice to have "friends" and "friends" with benefits is even nicer!! :)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Good for her!!! 13 yrs. is a long time to be alone. It's nice to have "friends" and "friends" with benefits is even nicer!! :)
I agree. And I hope your husband can see past his understandable lack of comfort with this and be happy for his mom.

My mom announced her engagement to someone she'd been seeing 3 months on the first anniversary of my Dad's death - and I took that really, really badly - and was very obvious about it. It did quite a lot of damage to our relationship, even tho' I was somewhat justified and she had really bad timing.

13 years is plenty long enough grieving.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this particular "friend"....was best buds with Paul's Dad growing up! She ran into him again in Scranton, where they all grew up. She's been travelling between there and home to take care of her mother.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I think that makes it better, not worse! They shared a love of Paul's father. I think that's sweet.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes Melissa, exactly! Which is why Paul is willing to give this guy a chance. It's comforting, I think. :)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Well, honestly, after 13 years he should be willing to give any guy a chance. It's really giving his mom a chance, after all.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He sees it differently, Melissa. MIL and FIL have been together since they were 13 years old. They were born in the same hospital, 1 day apart - their mothers were roomies. She was never with anyone else but him. I can understand how he feels 100%. He's very protective of his mother.

Ed, PMd ya back!! :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My best friend's family recently went through the samething. Her father passed away 15+ years ago, and her mother just started dating a man that her late-husband had been friends with. They had mixed reactions. I think because she had waited so long to start dating, some of the kids had decided that she would never date again. Others were happy that she had someone again. They did all eventually come around, and it has been great for her. I can see where it would be hard for your husband, but hopefully when he sees how happy they are together it will make it easier.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My best friend's family recently went through the samething. Her father passed away 15+ years ago, and her mother just started dating a man that her late-husband had been friends with.
Wow, that is the same! :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Wow, that is the same! :)
Weird huh? I think it is kind of cute. She calls him her boyfriend, and always smiles when she talks about him. There is just something about a 75 year old woman saying "boyfriend" that just makes me giggle. But she isn't my mom . . .

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I hope it goes well, Amy. His mom deserves a companion too. Maybe you guys should have gotten together somewhere else instead of his parents house. Maybe went out to dinner or something. That might have made it easier for him.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have 2 stories-
First- My best friend died suddenly from a botched stomach stapling surgery. It was so unexpected. Her dirty dog of a husband (they had been married for 30 years) got married within the first month to her best friend !! Talk about a real soap opera. I still won't talk to the a-hole.

Second- better story. My dad's brother and sister both passed away and their spouses married each other. They were all great friends for alot of years and so when they both passed, they comforted each other. They are so happy and have all the good memories.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They did invite us out, but we're going to be pressed for time tonight so we offered to bring a pie over. I'm sure he'll be fine after the initial introduction. :)

I hope.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
My sister has a "friend" just recently too. I think it's nice. She has been a widow for over 5yrs and her friend lost his wife a yr and half ago. They were bil & sil by marriage so they have know each other for over 25 years.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Amy, I hope it goes well and that Paul can let go enough to allow his mother to move on. It's certainly been long enough, and everyone has their own time-frame in which they get ready to start a new chapter in life.

I wish my father would find a "friend". It's been 4.5 years since my mother died and he's only dated one woman, and very briefly. But it'll happen when he's ready.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts