Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WE have been scouting out areas to retire to in a year or so and really like the northeast central part of Texas. It's beautiful rolling hills and mixed hardwood pine forest with lots of lakes. Liz has been scouring the internet and ran across this gem with a view of one of the large lakes. It's fairly equidistant between Houston, Dallas, and Shreveport LA.
First check out the photos then I'll tell you what it's listed for and you won't believe it.

The two story house is a 3/2 with about 1300 sq. ft. Two car garage, 1 acre+lot, and all fenced. Built in 1985 and occupied by one single owner.

View of the upstairs porch.

View up the upstairs sun room.

Fenced yard.

This house and property is listed for under $100,000.
OK, we'll go see what's wrong with it. It has to be something. Too good to be true.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Wow! It looks like a perfect getaway and fenced for the dogs too. I can't believe the price. I'd like to see inside pictures too. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i'm coming with you!!!

wtf is with texas real estate prices? that doesn't make any sense!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Get the hell out! WOW!!!!! Is that normal for that area?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the hell out! WOW!!!!! Is that normal for that area?
In this part of the stae there are some great values. The hill country around Austin is outrageous and this property there would run between $500,000 to $1,000,000. WE can't look at anytyhing west of I-45 because Liz is very allergic to Cedr trees and thta's about all that grows there. This area is far enough away from the coast to buffer hurricanes but it will be colder that we really like. Oh well, can't have everything.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I want to see the lake view! :fish2:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Looks very nice, John. Even if the house is a bit of a project, if the bones are good you can't go wrong at that price.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Nice!

That is one of the prettiest parts of Texas... all those hills and trees and ROSES (Tyler, TX)!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You need to be vary careful evaluating the house itself. Will the layout accommodate 6 dogs? How about 10 dogs? You need to plan for the futture if this is going to be your retirement home and you are going to rescue those 4 to 8 additional dogs.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I hate to be a "wet blanket" here, but I will.

This being considered for the purpose of a "retirement home".... the first thing that struck me is the stairs to the living area... for me that would be a No Go.

Stairs like that are really tough on old dogs and old people; I know this from experience. About the 100th time one carries the groceries up the stairs and the garbage/trash down the stairs one starts dreaming of all ground level living. *just food for thought from someone who has lived in a split level house for 35+ years and now has arthritic knees and had a hip replacement last year* :nono:

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
i'm coming with you!!!

wtf is with texas real estate prices? that doesn't make any sense!
MY house, in a subdivision, 2 story (3 level), small-ish, sloping property, will sell for $240,000.

You could get a double wide trailer here for $100,000. Not even a duplex.

I am moving to Texas, damnit

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
wow John! $100,000 sounds dirt cheap! Can't find anything like that over here. And an acre?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts

This being considered for the purpose of a "retirement home".... the first thing that struck me is the stairs to the living area... for me that would be a No Go.

Stairs like that are really tough on old dogs and old people; I know this from experience. About the 100th time one carries the groceries up the stairs and the garbage/trash down the stairs one starts dreaming of all ground level living. *just food for thought from someone who has lived in a split level house for 35+ years and now has arthritic knees and had a hip replacement last year* :nono:
Those are really good points. Probably not a big deal right now, but if you're going to be there awhile, it pays to think about access and how steep those stairs are going to look in fifteen years when you're not quite so steady on your feet.

We bought a retirement home near Tucson and it was a consideration. We bought our second choice home because it was a single story. The fun part of retirement ends pretty quickly if one of the dogs trips you going down a long flight of stairs.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts

Yep - this reason is why the house I am in now will not be my retirement home. I already know that I have 2 knee replacements to look forward to. Getting down to the basement and up to the second floor is already a *****. In 10 years - I better be in a ranch.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
You can always turn the two-car garage into the main living quarters and keep the upstairs for guests. ;) Or add on - there's plenty of room!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts