Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I guess I've been sheltered or something.

I threw my back out this week and I'm dying. I finally gave in and got over my being squirrely over letting a stranger touch me like that and I'm getting a massage. I know everyone raves about them - but here's my question...do you really have to get naked?

The guy I'm going to comes highly recommended, and my friend has been going to him for over 10 years. But she has always gone at the chiropractors office and he's no longer there so I'm going at his house. I'm sooo not sure about that naked thing. She swears he's not skeevy and he uses hot lotions and stuff you wouldn't want on your clothes.

Anyone have any advice here? I don't want gunk on my clothes but I'm not sure about this whole nekkid thing...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
usually they leave it up to you as to what you are comfortable with - but a towel usually covers at least 1/2 of you and any given time.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
What kind of massage is it? As far as I'm concerned, if a massage doesn't hurt like hell the person is not doing their job. Chances are, only the skin he is working on will be exposed--you'll be covered with a towel and wearing underwear. If you're uncomfortable, just tell him that and ask if you can expose the minimum amount of skin necessary.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theoconbrio said:
What kind of massage is it? As far as I'm concerned, if a massage doesn't hurt like hell the person is not doing their job. Chances are, only the skin he is working on will be exposed--you'll be covered with a towel and wearing underwear. If you're uncomfortable, just tell him that and ask if you can expose the minimum amount of skin necessary.
Ok...that's what she said too, he keeps you entirely covered except what he's working on. Since it is my lower back...I'm probably going to have to strip even if I am skeeved out. And it's going to hurt like a b****. I can't even sit right or walk. Forget bending down. I may have to have Scott drive me over there if it gets worse. This is ridiculous. ::)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I had my first one recently, and this is what I learned:

1. I wore sweatpants and the therapist worked around them. She said that the most imporant thing was that I be comfortable with what was happening. I wore a bra up top and she said that was fine, too. She just unhooked it when she needed to, and reattached it before I sat up.

2. It hurts. ****, does it hurt!

3. You will want to go home and take a nap afterwards

4. I scheduled only 30 min, and that was about all I could take

5. I can't wait to have another one!

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
One other tip: If he works deep and you feel that you can't relax into it, it *might* not be as effective. (Note I said "might," so please, physiologists, don't give me a hard time about this.) Ask him to go slowly and prepare you for the deep work.

P.S. That doesn't sound right, does it? :eek:

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
You'll probably be naked, but under a sheet. At no time would any "private parts" be exposed. It is a little nerve-wracking the first time, but just try to relax.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Drink lots of water that day (but not immediately before). I hear it helps...something about releasing toxins and stuff.

My cousin is a masseuse, so I hear little tips like that from her. :)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
He won't be skeevy! ;D

You will LOVE it! Well I do. :p I'm not a big touchy feely person per se, but for some reason I have no problem paying a complete stranger to rub my body all over. Fine wif me! Knock yerself out! :D

You can get as naked as you are comfortable with. Well, you can't leave your clothes on. That would really get in their way. ;) But you don't have to take *everything* off. I have gone totally buff and left on underwear. Bra does need to come off, really. But they are very well trained on strategic sheet folding and placement, so you will never feel exposed. ;)

Oh my gosh, I had a massage in Puerto Vallarta that was UN-REAL. UNREAL. I'm not kidding. My sister will back me on this...three of us girls had a spa day, and we all wanted to bring this guy home to live with us. Mmmmm. I will never meet his equal, I have a feeling.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh Nathan, I HATE the massage that hurts like hell! Kevin likes it rough too. I have actually felt nauseous after a massage that was too deep.

Remember, you are paying for this service, so DO NOT HESITATE to say harder, softer, whatever you want. It's like sex...you have to give a lot of feedback to get what you want. :D

No wait, I didn't mean to say it was like sex. Sorry sorry sorry! Not skeevy, I promise! :D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I dream of having a spa day. How cool, Connie!

I've never had one, Leah, but I suspect that you'll forget about your modesty once he starts rubbing. I'm dying to get a massage- I'm jealous!

Have fun and I hope it makes you feel better!!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I got a 90 minute massage Gift Certificate from a client last xmas, and just redeemed it last week.

I was a little leery too, but like others have said, they are great about keeping you covered. An hour into the massage, I fell so soundly asleep that the masseuse had to shake me awake at the end.

I really really hope I didn't snore. Or drool.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I go for a massage about once a month as I have a lot of neck/shoulder issues. I usually leave just my underpants on and they cover you except for the area they work on. It shouldn't hurt you! I only had one time where I went to a new person and she used way to much pressure on my legs to the point where she gave me a Charley horse. I immediately asked her to stop and use less pressure which she did.

Just relax...you will enjoy it!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Make sure you have a bottle of water with you for after. Janna was right. The massage works toxins out of your body and you need to flush it out. I felt like I was drunk. Thats how relaxing it was. You will enjoy it.

A tanning bed will also help your back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had never had a massage either until my husband gave me a spa day last November for my birthday. I was a little worried, but I just decided to embrace the moment. After all, I decided, it's sort of like going to the doctor-they see bodies all day so they probably don't even notice. My message therapist was female and she was very good about moving the sheet and I never once felt uncomfortable. Enjoy!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks you guys. I'm probably more nervous because he works out of his house. I'd have him come to my house but I can't get a table in there because of the boxes. And I certainly can't move them because of my back. So, it's toddling off to his house I go.

I appreciate the feedback. We'll see how comfortable I am with him when I get there - I usually read people pretty well off the bat. It may also depend on how much pain I'm in. I may be so desperate I stop caring about modesty. :D

I doubt I want one of those that hurt like a mother...I already hurt. I want the muscles to relax, so it'll take some work but I don't want to cry like a big ol baby!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, that's what I forgot to say (I knew there was something). I have been to the house of a guy who worked for my chiropractor, then went out on his own. I admit it did feel a little weird...but I knew the guy already and he was so cool, it only felt strange for a minute. I think it's pretty typical for them to work out of their homes.

Let us know how it goes! ;D I hope it makes your back feel better. Nothing more miserable than a hurt back. Oh, you know what always helps mine? Trigger point therapy. Maybe ask if he does that and have him explain it to you. That does wonders, I think.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I go for a deep massage every 6 weeks. I have never taken my underwear off and there is no need too. My problem areas is my lower back/buttock and shoulders. when she massage my buttock it's over the sheets. don't worry he won't see anything. since you are sore he most likely won't use a lot of pressure but it Will feel like he does . When you get home take a bath with Epsom salts. this will get rid of the toxic he has released and drink Plenty of water the day. the next day you feel feel 100% better. don't judge how you feel by how you feel right after the massage. relax and enjoy :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts