Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

GM has slashed product-development programs, advertising and spending on auto-show events. But it will take to the streets of Manhattan on Tuesday to show off a prototype of the vehicle, called PUMA, for Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility.

GM is betting PUMA's more car-like traits -- an enclosed compartment and top speed of 35 miles per hour -- will lead to better results. GM didn't say how much the machines would cost, but research chief Larry Burns said owners would spend one-third to one-fourth of the cost of a traditional vehicle.

PUMA would have a range of about 35 miles. GM said it aims to use so-called vehicle-to-vehicle technology to avoid traffic problems and potentially have it navigate itself through city streets.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
It is the product of a partnership effort between Segway and GM - it is not really a car but a Segway with 2 seats.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Please goverment, stop throwing money at these people to make these crappy contraptions that no one will buy!!!! Who here is going to zoom down a busy New York street in that? It's a glorified electric grocery cart. Geeze!!!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What's the issue? Looks like a great idea to me.

January in NYC sipping down Broadway at 35 mph, 50 pounds of clothing covering me from the windchill.

August in Phoenix around 3 in the afternoon. 20 pounds of sun screen, no clothes, trying for 40 mph hoping the breeze will cool me off.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
What's the issue? Looks like a great idea to me.

January in NYC sipping down Broadway at 35 mph, 50 pounds of clothing covering me from the windchill.

August in Phoenix around 3 in the afternoon. 20 pounds of sun screen, no clothes, trying for 40 mph hoping the breeze will cool me off.

LOL. Smart ass. LOL

Why wouldn't someone just buy a scooter?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts

GM is betting PUMA's more car-like traits -- an enclosed compartment and top speed of 35 miles per hour -- will lead to better results. GM didn't say how much the machines would cost, but research chief Larry Burns said owners would spend one-third to one-fourth of the cost of a traditional vehicle.
That does not look 'enclosed' to me - it looks like a windshield on a roll cage with wheels! They could not pay me enough to ride one of those things in downtown Detroit. Maybe zipping around a college campus, but not in any real city with real traffic. No one would see you!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it's not as nerdy as a golf cart!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I bet your insurance, both auto and medical,drops you as soon as you sign the sales contract.
Actually - Auto insurers have insurance specific to the Segway. I would assume they would come up with something for this too! (I have a Segway and work for the inventor, Dean Kamen.)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
This is how you know GM is going down no matter how much money we throw at them. Even their good ideas are bad. Egads...

I don't know Dan, I think a golf cart is cooler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts