Just Labradors banner

Godspeed Shotsy.....

3K views 33 replies 33 participants last post by  Snowflake 
#1 ·
I had to help my mom's 18 (yes 18) year old lab mix over the rainbow bridge yesterday. She had been Mom's constant companion since that cold wintery day way back in 1990. Sleet was falling when Mom arrived at the hospital for work, and someone had chosen this Godawful day to throw away a 2 1/2 month old lab mix pup. She was greeting each person as they arrived that day. Some folks patted her head and some shooshed her away. There's no way that she could realize that she about to have the luckiest day in her long life. Mom, being the dog lover that she is, couldn't bear the thought of that poor waif being left out in such weather. A box was found, and the cold, wet, little girl was spirited into the lab. Mom had NO intention of taking this pup home, but her heart was just too big to leave her out in the cold. At one point during the day, "Shotsy" began to bark. Mom told her that she'd better sit down in that box and hush before somebody made a fuss about a dog being in the hospital. Much to Mom's amazement, the little black pup didn't make another peep for the rest of the day. Needless to say, Shotsy went home with Mom at the end of the day, and for the last 18 years has been a friend and protector in her home. Thank you Shotsy for taking care of Mom so well for so many years. I have no doubt that you are now at the bridge greeting each and all who come across.

Run free without pain dear girl, and Godspeed.
Love you always.
Your 2-legged sis.

See less See more
#5 ·
God Bless

What a wonderful story and what a wonderful mom you have. That pup was one lucky dog. I also lost my best friend of 14 years, but rest assure...there is a place in heaven for all our departed friends. They run free and happy waiting for us to be with them someday.

#15 ·
That day she was rescued by your mom was indeed the luckiest day of her life. Up until then. After that day, each day after was again the luckiest day, she found love, safety, care and a home with your mom. Run free Shotsy, you will be missed, your work here is done:(.

#17 ·
Godspeed, Shotsy. Your story is wonderful!

Lucy

#24 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts for me and especially for my mom. I will tell you that I squalled like a baby when I had to put her down, but my heart hurts even more for my mom. All of us kids have long since hopped out of the nest, and Shotsy and the 3 kitties are/were Mom's "live-in" family now. I spoke with my mother this morning. She said that she had been doing OK until she got her walking shoes out this morning to go volunteer at the cat shelter in Woodville....she does this at least twice a week. Bless her heart. Anyway, when she reached for her shoes, she teared up and apologized to Shotsy because she hadn't gone walking since Thursday. That was a daily ritual for the 2 of them, and she said she promised Shotsy that she would start walking again tomorrow. I got pretty teary eyed myself when she told me that. Thanks so much again for all of your kind thoughts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.