Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to help my mom's 18 (yes 18) year old lab mix over the rainbow bridge yesterday. She had been Mom's constant companion since that cold wintery day way back in 1990. Sleet was falling when Mom arrived at the hospital for work, and someone had chosen this Godawful day to throw away a 2 1/2 month old lab mix pup. She was greeting each person as they arrived that day. Some folks patted her head and some shooshed her away. There's no way that she could realize that she about to have the luckiest day in her long life. Mom, being the dog lover that she is, couldn't bear the thought of that poor waif being left out in such weather. A box was found, and the cold, wet, little girl was spirited into the lab. Mom had NO intention of taking this pup home, but her heart was just too big to leave her out in the cold. At one point during the day, "Shotsy" began to bark. Mom told her that she'd better sit down in that box and hush before somebody made a fuss about a dog being in the hospital. Much to Mom's amazement, the little black pup didn't make another peep for the rest of the day. Needless to say, Shotsy went home with Mom at the end of the day, and for the last 18 years has been a friend and protector in her home. Thank you Shotsy for taking care of Mom so well for so many years. I have no doubt that you are now at the bridge greeting each and all who come across.

Run free without pain dear girl, and Godspeed.
Love you always.
Your 2-legged sis.

·
Registered
38 Posts
what an incredible story...sometimes things were just meant to be.
Godspeed little wet pup, you were one lucky labby

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
God Bless

What a wonderful story and what a wonderful mom you have. That pup was one lucky dog. I also lost my best friend of 14 years, but rest assure...there is a place in heaven for all our departed friends. They run free and happy waiting for us to be with them someday.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
I'm sorry. :( Then fact that you helped her go, must make it even harder on you.

What a wonderful life she had with your Mum. 18 is an amazing age for a dog. :)

RIP Shotsy.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Run Free Shotsy...you are loved very much and will be missed greatly.

What a wonderful story and may the person who dumped her have to answer for it one day also.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
I'm so sorry - I enjoyed hearing how Shotsy came into your Mom's life - one person's loss was your Mother's wonderful gain.

Run free Shotsy!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
What a nice story. I am sorry to hear about Shotsy. Run free girl..

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
What a wonderful story of how she came to her forever home. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Run free Shotsy.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
That day she was rescued by your mom was indeed the luckiest day of her life. Up until then. After that day, each day after was again the luckiest day, she found love, safety, care and a home with your mom. Run free Shotsy, you will be missed, your work here is done:(.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Godspeed, Shotsy. Your story is wonderful!

Lucy

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
:(What a beautiful story. Godspeed, Shotsy.
MAY THE SHAMROCKS FALL SOFTLY

1 - 20 of 34 Posts