Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was raised Catholic and haven't had a lot of exposure to other religions, but I have a question. Do any other religions baptise at birth? Do they have god parents assigned to the baby? Just curious.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Yes. Episcopalians do. United Methodists do. Presbyterians do. United Church of Christ (UCC) do. I guess those are the only groups with whom I have direct experience.

ETA: godparents are optional.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Lutherans baptize... I forget if I had godparents and who they were... never got any godparent gifts that's for sure :p

J

·
0 Posts
Yep, Lutherans do, although they are not called godparents anymore, but sponsors.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I love my god parents to this day they are still a special part of my life. SU thought it was just a catholic thing but I was thinking other religeons did it too.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Momma to J and A said:
Yes. Episcopalians do. United Methodists do. Presbyterians do. United Church of Christ (UCC) do. I guess those are the only groups with whom I have direct experience.

ETA: godparents are optional.
I was raised Presbyterian and it was never a big thing in our church. I think it depends on your church, and to a certain extent, your presbytery. And of course, your parents.

J

·
0 Posts
We have God Parents. In my church baptism is a personal choice (not done as a baby), but when a child is a baby it is dedicated to God (you promise to raise the child to know the Lord and the congregation promises too.) So our baby dedication is similar to a baby baptism. Our baptisim is similar to confirmation. It's all good!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
I'm Lutheran.. i was baptised and have Godparents

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
I was baptised in the Anglican church and my godparents were Lutherans. I am very close to my godmother (my godfather is dead) though she lives in NC.

Though at the time of my birth as a premie I was dedicated by a Baptist minister. My father was Baptist and when my mum moved to the states after getting married she just went to his church. I was raised in a Baptist church when we were living in the states. But it always bothered my mum I didn't have godparents and hadn't been baptised so at 9 months when they were at her home in Canada visiting my father encouraged her to get me baptised if it would make her feel better. Friends of theirs who were still stationed at the US Air Base in St Johns were selected to be my godparents.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts