Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that we have a fresh new year starting, what are your goals for you and your dogs in 2010?

Emilu and I need one more show to finish our RAE, I would love to get our CX, but if not that, then I would like to at least get a qualitying leg! I am also going to work on some DockDog stuff and if she will start jumping off the dock on our new pond at home, I'll take her to some practice sessions and join the Buckeye DockDogs. We also might go after that WC this year - I put if off every year because of time issues, and probably will this year too, but one can always hope :).
Skippy got his CGC last year, and I was so proud of him and promised him he could "retire", but he does so well practicing at home and heels so nicely that I still have that little voice in my head that says "he only needs 2 legs to get his RN - I KNOW he could do it!" ( if he isn't lame that day, or deciding that it is TIME TO GO HOME when his turn is next.)
I don't think that a new pup is on the sights for this year - with the addition of 2 cats to the household, I need to get a better handle on the animals I have and try to keep SU's allergies in control, but I am always looking at kennels, and even starting to Google "hunting poodles" :eek:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
If we get through the orientation assessment in a couple weeks, our goal is for HK to become a certified therapy dog. Hopefully in a couple weeks I will know the letters involved.
The same club does other training, need to get familiar with the options and may add something else in there.
Oh! Almost forgot. We willalso be visiting lots of places to see if anyone has the audacity to say something about HK having to leave. I decided that willbe a test I will use to find out if I want to do business at specific places. Okay, I know the grocery store is out, and most restaraunts. But those are not necessarily the business' decision.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
our goals

Robbie needs one more leg to get his Exellent FAST agility title giving us our first ever Excellent title (Riley retired before he got an excellent title)..I also would like to see him get into excellent in all his other agility classes. He also needs one more leg to get his CD although we focus more on the agility I would like to get that title.

Cedar is working on his open agility titles too and I would like to see him get to the excellent level too. If we get Robbie's CD then I would like to work on his CD.

Flyer will be in training most of this year for agility, rally and obedience. If things progress as I hope then he may be entered in his first agility trial in October when he turns 2 or we may wait til next year.

Riley is still working on his championship couch potato skills..he will be 12 next month and every year he is still with me is all the prize we need.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Well, it's not going to be a prosperous year for us. I have already resigned from my dog club as I simply cannot afford the dues and I won't be showing much at all this year.

I do have some goals though. I am planning on starting to work with Remington toward his CD. Also will begin teaching him things like retrieving the dumbbell, go outs, etc., just for fun at this point as I know he won't be ready to show in any of this for years yet, but we can at least make an effort to get going on it. He likes to learn. He gets very excited when we are learning new things, his problem is staying focused for any length of time. Step by step we will work on him.

I hope to finish Ruger's RAE. We need 3 more legs. I honestly don't know if we will though as I have no spare money for entry fees.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Goals: Finish Ambers Senior Hunter title, Train and possibly compete in utility obedience, Build first dock in Southern California for a dock diving dogs, Judge first hunt test, run Amber in a tracking test, Compete and work at Labrador Nationals, Look for a puppy, Get Ambers Rally Excellent title.

I think that is all..

Kelly

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Goals for 2010:

Caleb--continue and hopefully finish his OTCh. I will be showing him some in Rally to get ready for the 2010 All-Star Performance Dog Championship in August.

Micah--here is the challenging one. Want to finish his RAE so I can show him in Super Rally at All-Star along with Caleb (in case they don't have it in 2012). Hope to have him ready to get his Canadian CD in July and from there we'll see how soon we'll be in the AKC obedience ring. Will also show him in UKC breed and obedience, too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Guinness will have Dock Diving and earning his Rally Novice title. I hope to also start showing him in Obedience.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Maddy needs 3 RAE legs for her title. Will probably try her in UKC Rally, at least RO1 until I get the hang of the differences.

Grace will do some more training and we'll see about her CD, otherwise, I'll try getting her RE. Maybe we'll try RO1 with her as well.

Jed should be able to earn his RN this year. Though his main goal is to finish his UKC Grand Champion conformation title, and maybe see if he's mature enough for AKC conformation.

Hudler is basically retired, though I keep thinking maybe I could get his RA or the RO1 on him.

Jack, well, he's going to be one of those problem dogs. Maybe when he's 5 he'll be calm enough to do anything OB/Rally related. I am just lucky he got his CGC in 2009. He'll be focused on conformation.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Jack, well, he's going to be one of those problem dogs. Maybe when he's 5 he'll be calm enough to do anything OB/Rally

This is exactly Remington :) I'm hoping when he's 5 we can venture into the obedience ring... maybe ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well I hope that Cinder starts diving this year, along with starting on some hunt tests. We aren't going to push Zoey to hard in diving until later in the year, but I would like to play around with some flyball with her, and she will for sure continue with her new found love.....herding. Yes, herding. You should have seen the looks we got at that event, and the suprise on their faces when we realized she is pretty good at.:D

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Kona is retired so just NH visits, veterans obedience and learning tracking.

Bo, hopefully his CD and go off leash in rally later in the year. Hope to also get him ready to go for his JH in the fall.

·
Registered
488 Posts
This is exactly Remington :) I'm hoping when he's 5 we can venture into the obedience ring... maybe ;)

Not to be a downer or anything, but my problem dog is 7.5 and is still a wild man :p. He has his own special run at the boarding kennel because he climbed out last time (6ft fence. thankfully double fenced though) and also chewed up the door and locked himself in another time. He has also escaped while boarding at the vet and they couldn't get him back in his run (they eventually managed to lock him in a different one after an extensive game of tag).

His showing consists of one RN, 2 completed runs (both NQs), and many failed attempts (including 4-5 failed CGC attempts). He's finally getting settled enough that I can work him in the yard off-leash....assuming that there are no rabbits or wandering dogs in the vicinity (previously he was always worked in a fenced area, on-leash, or wearing an e collar).

He also ate a road map a few days ago, and a reciept, and tried to eat my wallet too - he also dragged the kennel assistant down the hall when we came to pick him up and then began jumping like a pogo-stick.

ETA: This is his normal state of being, not a result of being cooped up indoors or crated excessively.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Remington's problem is his ADD. His breeder swears that her dogs change at 5 years. I'm hoping. But if it doesn't happen, heh, it doesn't happen. We will do what he can do and enjoy it :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Goals for 2010..

NA/NAJ legs by spring, titles by summer.
tracking certification by spring TD by fall.
JH and WC by Fall
CD - maybe fall/winter.. agility, tracking and hunting titles are prioritites, so we'll see where we're at with obedience by fall.

=) Happy New Year all!

·
Registered
574 Posts
My 2010 Agility goal is one leg each in AKC Excellent Std and JWW both Preferred for Shamrock, my 9 1/2 year old and then we are done with AKC Agility. I think he knows this and almost Q's but decides at the last minute he will do something "funny" and there we are. I did enroll him and Recon, my 2 1/2 year old in CPE. I can jump the "old guy" at 12, 16 or 20 inches so I can keep him in Agility and have some fun. Recon needs the ring experience before we try AKC Agility and my Agility friends tell me CPE is great fun. My husband shows Shamrock in OB and I know he would like to finish his OB Master 1 title (and keep going if possible) and at some point start to show Recon in AKC OB. If/when Shamrock is done in Open and Utility, I'll show him in Rally to keep his skills going. I'd like to sharpen my handling skills in Agility and learn to work with greater distance because I will never be able to run as fast as Recon.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Crap

I haven't thought about it - let alone put it in writing ...
lemme thingk about this

Brody - get a couple more masters titles snookers and jumpers maybe?
go to aac regionals and qualify for nationals
get him remeasured

Thea - play at cpe agility - have fun fun fun

Sally - get back in work and doing agility - compete some hopefully :)

Sampson - leave him alone so DH can enjoy him - apart from putting a really reliable flyign recall on him

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Kodi: work toward her OTCH some more. There are so many top in the nation people around here (including my instructors) that obtaining it will take "awhile". Get her UUD and UUDX. I also want to breed her...there are dyas I think I can handle a litter and others...not.

Hoss: Get is CD, UCD, and work on the CDX adn UDX. I also would like to get or make significant progress toward his HR and SH titles.

My finances will be severly limited this year since I retired, so what I can actually compete at (entry fees, gas money and motel fees are very significant) will be limited.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Working on getting a least one leg toward Jeb's RA title and would like to work toward getting his CD. We'll see how it goes. He may be on the 5-year plan too. But he has come so far when I look at where we started with my sweet fella. My husband is going to work with his puppy, Hampton, and may do Rally and Obedience. They start puppy class next week. Hampton seems very willing to please.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Ah! Good thread! I have been giving this much thought. This is great to put it in writing!

1. Get a CDX
2. Keep pecking at the RAE. We have 5 legs. No hurry here though.
3. Get the APDT ARCHEX. We have 3 more legs.
4. Get to 6 weave poles (we just got to 4 last night!)
5. Gain confidence on a regulation height teeter
6. Finish CPE level 1 and level 2 and get into an AKC novice trial
7. Finish the C-WAGS ARF title. One leg to go
8. Finish the C-WAGS obedience level 3 title. Three legs to go.
9. Work on glove retrieves
10. Learn articles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts