Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Motors Corp. is planning to temporarily close most of its U.S. factories for up to nine weeks, three people briefed on the plan said Wednesday. The exact dates of the closures are not known, but the people said they will occur around the normal two-week shutdown in July when changes are made from one model year to the next. None of the people wanted to be identified because workers have not yet been told of the shutdowns.

GM spokesman Chris Lee would not comment other than to say the company notifies employees before making any production cuts public. But UAW officials will likely raise questions about the move during meetings they have scheduled at several factories Thursday and Friday with plant managers and GM human resource officials to discuss production changes.

Thousands of workers could be laid off but would still get most of their pay because their United Auto Workers union contract requires the company to make up much of the difference between state unemployment benefits and their wages.

One of the people briefed on the plan said details are still being worked out. Some of the closings could be staggered between mid-May and the end of July, but the exact number of plants to be idled has not yet been determined. Another person said a few plants that make more popular models could remain open for part of the shutdown period, but at reduced assembly line speeds.

But the shutdown could be catastrophic to many auto parts suppliers that already are near bankruptcy due to previous production cuts. During the shutdown, suppliers couldn't ship parts to GM and would lose critical revenue.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It's happening everywhere. Our plant is shutting down 1 week every month. At least I still have a job.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Yep, we just got a email from the CEO of the Hospital. All employees that do not have direct care with patients are required to take a 2 week furlough with no pay. Not a big deal, I could be one of the 233 people that will work their last day tomorrow.

Also, all Dr's were required to take a 3% pay cut for the remainder of the year. Since the Nurses are union there was nothing the company could do but lay of 30 of them.

At least the GMC Employees will still get paid for the 9 weeks off. They can thank the union for that, they can also thank the union when GMC files for bankruptcy and a judge will determine who stays and who goes.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A battery plant in this town is already feeling the slam of declining auto sales...this isn't going to help. :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Our miners are off the entire months of June & July.. boohoo.. they get Unemployment Insurance and a top-up from the company.. i'm practically jealous.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
They are also getting furlow pay for those 9 weeks under their union contract. So they are not losing out like people who get laid off without a job to go to. They can actually go do something else those 9 weeks; like work at a Dairy Queen, and make their furlow pay and the DQ pay. I assume they are only saving money by not paying the bills that keep the place up and running.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Sandy, GM workers cannot accept pay from anyone else otherwise they lose their benefits.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
At least the GMC Employees will still get paid for the 9 weeks off. They can thank the union for that, they can also thank the union when GMC files for bankruptcy and a judge will determine who stays and who goes.
They will get 70% pay, from what was announced on the news today. They are doing this because there are too many cars/trucks and no one is buying. President Obama was supposed to meet with them to find out how many car dealerships they can close.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
LMBO at Labby!!! lol

that is right labby; the guy i used to know worked construction and got cash during his furlow so it was not "tracked"....that was a long time ago.......

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
it has to be under the table, which is where I'll be after I start drinking during those 9 weeks.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
LOL! Maybe he could work security for them to guard the place for 9 weeks. LOL...that is going to be your whole summer, isn't it? I feel for ya, gal!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts