Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my dumb question: Why can't dogs take human glucosamine supplements? They are much cheaper than glycoflex or any of the others for dogs ..... (Or can they take it?)

..... I'm adding this after several people have responded: My vet claimed that the canine version is made specifically so that it can be absorbed and utilized by a dog's body, whereas the human version has a different chemical makeup. Have I been duped? ****!

·
Registered
162 Posts
With my first girl we bought her Glucosamine Chondroitin supplements at Sam's Club...they were human supplements, just followed the vet's instructions as to the dosage. She had very severe HD and we were able to keep her quite comfortable for her last two years on a regimen of the above supplements and buffered aspirin. Many of the meds you get from the vet are the same thing that you can get at the pharmacy....Gracie's hypothyroid medicine (Synthroid) is the same medication I take! :) I just saw one of my friends at the pharmacy picking up insulin shots for her 10 year old labby while I was getting my Mom's meds.

Check with your vet, but it shouldn't be a problem. Many times the human meds are cheaper than the pet meds.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
The glucosamine is the same thing, the exact same chemical formula. The only difference is that the pet ones add flavors like beef and things that appeal to dogs. I do use Cosequin, but it's only because I can get it cheaper than most other supplements. If I run out, I go down to Wal-Mart and pick up a bottle of Cosamin (made by same company, but marketed to humans - just doesn't have that nice beef flavoring in it).

In general, you have better luck with the human brands...they tend to have the amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin actually in the pill that they list on the label. Bob Pr. has posted a link before regarding Consumer Reports' study on this. Kirkland (if you have a Costco) was rated #1 in terms of purity - and it's one of the cheaper products out there.

*edit:
Sorry Sandy, I just basically repeated what you said about Kirkland.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
They certainly can.

Dogs should get appx. 1500 mg per day. More than that and the body eliminates it.

I buy and use the Kirkland brand from Costco. I was using the Cosequin DS but it was just too expensive.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I use Kirkland brand as well. I fool my dogs. They have to do tricks to get the glucosamine and therefore think it is a treat ;D ;D. They gobble them down before they taste them and I always give it to them right before their breakfast so that they are anxious to take it and get to their meal. Labs will eat anything right?
Pat

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I just put the pill in their feed dishes with breakfast and dinner. There's no Costco near me, so I use Meijer brand, and stock up when they have the buy one get on free sales

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I give Oona the same thing I take. Joint Soother from Vitamin World. It has glucomamine, condroitin, and MSM. She has been getting it now for about a year and it has made a world of difference. If you are a member (which costs nothing) they have a buy one get one free policy but you have to buy the product on the first Monday or Tuesday of the month.
Olie

·
Registered
72 Posts
We've started ours on it after talking to the vet and asking some questions. She gave me a whole list of different brands your can buy and their dosing. So because I work for a pharmacy I am able to buy the in store brand. Like a previous poster said, the only difference in dog vs. human pill is the flavoring. But mine don't seem to mind.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
As I said above Cinnamon gets hers from Trader Joes. She gets 2 pills a day. There are 180 in the bottle and I pay under $10. Every morning my father takes his vitamin, walks down the table and hads mum hers and that is Cinnamon's qu. She stops what she is doing and comes over and sits by his chair and he hands her her pills one at a time and she goobles them down. Thinks they are great treat. I used the ones from Costco for a while but some times she would chew then and sometimes not so I switch to the flavored ones at TJ's.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Dawson Creek Girl said:
I don't feed Rowan any extra vitamins etc. should I be??
If you gave her this now it wouldn't hurt her. But I would definitely start my dog on it when they were 3 or 4 as a prevenative. It adds lubricants to the joints, a lot of people wait until the dog is much older and by then its too late to do much good.
Olie

1 - 20 of 22 Posts