Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....... I had my eyes checked recently. I have a slight astigmatism and am slightly far-sighted. This is pretty much the same diagnosis I had when my eyes were last checked... about 10 years ago. The Dr told me I could get glasses, they would certainly help me see better, but I don't NEED them. All I really need to do is make sure I look away from the computer regularly, or close my eyes for a few seconds, to get my focus back. Its not that I don't notice the astigmatism, its just that it's not so bad as to prevent me from seeing okay (main complaint is that edges can get blurred after focusing for a while).

So I decided to not get the glasses this time... when I go back in 2 years, maybe.

But now my girlfriend has a really cute pair of glasses, and they look really good on me, lol. So I'm sort of tempted to get a pair for vanity's sake... I will admit, I kind of think cool glasses make a person look smarter, and I will hopefully be interviewing for jobs soon so I can use all the first-impression help I can get.

DH thinks I'm crazy. lol.

What do you guys think, do glasses-wearers come across differently? And I mean cool glasses, lol, not my mother's bi-focals.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I ONLY wear my contacts. I wear my glasses at home in the evening. I hate the feel of them on my face...I need to get new ones.

I say get them if you want too!! :)

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I've worn glasses all my life andf can't imagine not having them. I have several pairs and change them according to my mood or wardrobe. I decided a long time ago that if I have to wear these things, they may as well be interesting. Fashion for your face!

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I didn't need new glasses, but at the end of last year I picked out a really snazzy pair so I have a couple of choices. I figure if I'm going to wear glasses (which I don't really need, because I don't legally have to wear them to drive) I might as well look good. *lol*

So yeah, I say if you can afford it, get them! :)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I like my glasses... but I honestly can't wear them if it's going to be sunny and I'm going to be outside... I just can't take the brightness.

So I try to keep both contacts and glasses prescriptions and at home hardware :p up to date.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, we have decent coverage, but I believe frames and lenses usually come to around $300'ish?? So I would likely end up paying around $100-$150 out of pocket... kind of an expensive fashion statement! I could probably find a vanity pair for less, lol.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I didn't need new glasses, but at the end of last year I picked out a really snazzy pair so I have a couple of choices. I figure if I'm going to wear glasses (which I don't really need, because I don't legally have to wear them to drive) I might as well look good. *lol*

So yeah, I say if you can afford it, get them! :)
Pretty much the same here. My mid-range and close vision is shot due to age, but my distance is fine and I don't need glasses to drive. But, because I need them for the computer and reading, I got the graded kind that go from clear at the top to computer in the center to reading at the bottm. I now have three pairs of almost identical prescription, that I switch around when I feel like it.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I've needed corrective lenses since turning 11. Had contacts for a while in college and let them go by the wayside due to my lack (then) of diligence in maintenance. And I was smoking then and they'd get yellow and gloppy and uncomfortable.

That said,

If I didn't have to wear glasses, I would never wear them.

The nose-bridgy things pinch, even in the best-fitting styles. In the summer heat, the sweat will make them sag on your face. They get knocked off, especially at dog class by exuberant pups. And dog-kisses become a schmeary nightmare. Running/exercising w/them is a royal PITA (see sweat comment above). They frost up in the winter cold, making it impossible to see when you come into a warm room.

And they wreak havoc on our budget. I have FOUR different Rx's: Far-left/near-left; far-right/near-right (lenses are progressives). So a new pair of lenses only -- nevermind fashionable frames -- is somewhere around $600.

I have clipons for sunglasses (have VERY sensitive eyes when it comes to sunlight) which mitigates the bill by half. But still.......

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I too have uber light sensitive eyes. My eye doc has even mentioned mine are close to the most light sensitive eyes she's ever seen, so I have two pairs of prescription sunglasses as well as my regular glasses. In total I have 5 pairs of glasses (collected over an 8 year period) ... that's a lot of glasses. LOL

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Oh... my insurance covers an exam and either a 1 year supply of contacts OR a pair of glasses (frames and lenses) each year. So I usually get glasses one year and contacts the next year (cause I'm bad and wear my contacts longer than I should so they can last 2 years... plus I spend days/weeks at a time without putting in contacts)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I love my glasses, they kind of look like the Sarah Palin glasses but I had them first. However, I also have to have prescription sunglasses or I can't go outside. I'm actually considering Lasik just because they are such a pain when it comes to sports and in the rain.

However, if you need them even a little, then I would go with something that looks really good and will last. They may start out as vanity glasses but you may quickly find that they make your life so much easier that you use them all the time.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Do you have Costco near you? Their prices are very reasonable, though they do not take insurance, but they are still a bargain compared to other places. I'm getting glasses, same situation as you. My vision is not that bad, having issues with distance, have astigmatism, also need for reading. They (in the US) charge $99 for progressive lenses plus whatever frame you plus about $30 for antireflective thingy. I walked into one place and they wanted $210 for progressive lenses. I'm a little pissed at my Costco right now because the initial optician technician I got screwed up my script, so they had to send them back, still waiting for them, but friends and others I have talked to have been very happy with them.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I wish my progressive prescrition were that cheap...I need to buy the Nikon super thin plastic lenses, otherwise I'd have Coke bottles taped to my face. Those Nikon lenses are pricy!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We are getting ours at Sears. $150 each for polycarbonate lenses, one for regular wear and one for sunglasses (polarized). I'm going to get an eye exam tomorrow to see if my script has changed...I don't think it has, but I need a current one to get new sunglasses.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I hated wearing glasses. That is why I had mu LASIK done in 2003. It got to point where I couldn't wear my contacts anymore so I had the surgery. I still say it was the best money I ever spent. Glasses are expensive if you get the nice ones.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I looked all over and nobody beat their price.
Heh.

Topic is glasses. And you looked all over.

Interesting way to frame this discussion.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've had glasses since I was...8? I got contacts as soon as I could and wear those exclusively for two reasons: 1) I hate the feeling of glasses on my face and 2) I'm severely nearsighted, so contacts are better for periperal vision and reducing distortion. However, I still keep a few pairs of glasses on hand just in case. Depending on your RX, glasses can get pretty pricey - I just get mine from Sams or Costco because I only wear them at night. If I had better vision, I'd probably appreciate glasses more tho, and there are some cute ones out there.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm going to suggest that if you start wearing glasses because you like how they look, and they will help your vision, that when you go without them, your vision is going to seem worse than it was because you saw better with them. ( that's one of the longer sentences I've ever typed) Not a reason to not get glasses, but you might start being more unhappy with your vision without glasses after that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts