Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a few months ago we thought we would be getting ready for a wedding this week... my SIL was to be married on June 13th. But her fiance broke it off, and now instead of getting ready for a wedding, they are trying to sell their house...

So to distract SIL from the upcoming weekend, she and my MIL and I are going to Montreal from Thursday to Sunday! There will be wine, shopping, POUTINE and more wine! We have Cirque de Soleil OVO tickets on Saturday, at the time the wedding ceremony was scheduled, then we are going out for a nice dinner in Old Montreal with LOTS of wine!

I think our plan is working too, as SIL seems to be excited as well! But I think it will be good for her to be away, not moping around her parents' house (she moved back until her house sells), not in the familiar surroundings where she would have been getting ready for her wedding day.

Slightly off topic, I'm pretty lucky to have IL's that I'd go on a trip with! My MIL and SIL are great, and I know we'll have fun!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Have an awesome time, and take lots of incriminating photos! Oh, and have me over for coffee again when you get back & show me all of the shopping you did! =)

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Your poor SIL. :( THat must have been really hard to have to deal with. But it sounds like you and her mom will make her weekend a great one!! Have fun!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure Theresa!

SIL is doing pretty good, I'm very proud of her, but I know this week has been hard and that she'll be much better once June 13th is behind her.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
my SIL was to be married on June 13th. But her fiance broke it off,
Please tell me he didn't wait until she had the dress and the invitations were already out? :(

Sounds like the perfec trip to get her mind off of things. Have fun!!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Ooooh.. Montreal is a great place to forget about real life crap.. have fun, Jo!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What a wonderful idea. I hope your SIL gets over it and the house is sold quickly so she can start a new phase of hr life.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please tell me he didn't wait until she had the dress and the invitations were already out? :(

Sounds like the perfec trip to get her mind off of things. Have fun!!
She had EVERYTHING done, but luckily we had not printed and sent out the invites yet (she had them though)... that's actually what tipped me and her mom off that something wasn't right, she kept putting off getting together to assemble the invites.

I do give him some credit for breaking it off before the wedding, rather then going through the motions and either standing her up at the alter or getting a divorce/annulment after the fact. Knowing now what I didn't know then, they really were not meant to be. She even knows that now, but she's still in the phase of wishing it had all worked out. Once the wedding date is behind her and the house is sold, she'll do much better! He was her first boyfriend, they've been dating since high school. She's only 26, she has a great job as a NICU nurse (makes a lot more money then I do/did!), and is very pretty and fun... She will appreciate this in good time!

She and her mom are also GREAT shoppers, so we will definitely have a blast!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
He was her first boyfriend, they've been dating since high school. She's only 26
Aw man, I feel so bad for her. Sounds like she reallllllllllllllllllly needs this!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My sister and her ex broke up 6 weeks before their wedding (8 or 9 years ago). My mom, sister and I went to Vegas the weekend that she should have been married. It really did help her get through . . . we had a few tears, but we had more laughs. This is really a great thing you are doing with her. We still talk about the fun we had that weekend, but the reason we were there is a distant memory.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My sister and her ex broke up 6 weeks before their wedding (8 or 9 years ago). My mom, sister and I went to Vegas the weekend that she should have been married. It really did help her get through . . . we had a few tears, but we had more laughs. This is really a great thing you are doing with her. We still talk about the fun we had that weekend, but the reason we were there is a distant memory.
That is so nice, that is exactly what we are trying to accomplish!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts