How's the pup? :)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Good I sure hope!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Glad you asked!! I was going to update with a new pic, but we can't find the cord to charge the camera!!
Anyways.....so, Moka had the surgery to remove the rod, pins and fixture from her leg on January 11th. They put a cast/bandage thing on her leg that day, which was supposed to stay on for a week. SOMEHOW-in her crate, with an e-collar on, she managed to grab the end of the cast near her toes, and pull t down her leg so that it was below her knee. She DID NOT like not being able to bend her leg. She did not chew the cast at all , just pulled it down. That was 2 days after having it put on. So, called the doc, he said to remove it. Could do more harm than good.
Now, it's almost 3 weeks later....talked to the doc yesterday to put a timetable on releasing her from restrictions. (Keep in mind she has been on strict crate confinement for 6 weeks at this point)
She can go up and down the porch steps, (there's only 3 of them)as long as it's not 100 mph. She can play and run a little, on a leash (again-not 100 mph). She can go for walks: 10-15 minutes at a time, 3x a day this week, 15-20 minutes 3x a day next week, 20-25 minutes 3x a day the week after. After 3 weeks of this she will be off the walking restrictions and able to walk longer distances on flat pavement and ground (no hiking mountains just yet). All of her activity has to be on leash and CONTROLLED.
She would be able to play with Java in 3 weeks IF they played nice and controlled, no wrestling or jumping or tackling (yeah right) but seeing as how they play very rough (Java loves to mow Moka down going 75mph) they cannot play together still for another 6 weeks.
Moka cannot jump on or off furniture for another 6 weeks.
After 6 more weeks is up (roughly Mid-March) the doc said we can let Moka be a normal dog again-NO restrictions at all. He said she will be 100% at that point.
We rented an indoor pool for a private swim session for Moka this Saturday. Swiming is the best thing for her right now to exercise that leg with no impact. We are going to do that once a week. Java will not be there this week, but may go next week.
Overall, Moka is doing great!! She does not have a limp at all. The fur has not grown all the way back in yet, so she's still got a funny look going on. She has some impressive scars as well. She is teething too, which is always fun!!
Oh, and she has gotten quite tubby too!!! She's a chunk now...but that weight will come off once she starts getting more exercise.
She's such a love...I climb in her crate with her and she grabs a chew toy and lays right across my lap. She was the pup that LOVED to be with people (Java can be a little standoffish sometimes) so this has been really difficult for her, but she has been so good. I can't wait until she can get on the couch and cuddle with me at night!!

Thank you guys for all your support and I will update with pics as soon as I can!! I can't believe how much she has grown these last 6 weeks. It makes me son sad...he feels like she has missed such a big chunk of her puppyhood. Another 6 weeks of restriction will mean she'll be almost 8 months. She was just shy of 5 months when the accident happened...my poor Goopy-Doo!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea about the pool!!!! It sounds like she's doing really well. She seems to be adjusting OK to the confinement?

·
Registered
460 Posts
the pool is a great idea....I'm glad things are going well with the recovery. (Getting caught up here)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
It's good to hear she's doing so well. I guess when she's a little bigger you'll just have to get another puppy for your son!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
It's good to hear she's doing so well. I guess when she's a little bigger you'll just have to get another puppy for your son!
Nope...Java is his girl. He fell in love with Java the minute he saw her and she is his girl!!
Moka was more for me...because I wanted a second dog.
Besides, by the time we're ready for a third dog he'll be gone to college!!!

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Great idea about the pool!!!! It sounds like she's doing really well. She seems to be adjusting OK to the confinement?
She's doing ok with the confinement, as well as or better than you'd expect for a 5-6 month old lab pup. She's not a big fan of it, but she's tolerating it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts