Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how common Giardia is in labs, and what are your experiences with it? Any info appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
My kids usually have a bout with it once a year, typically in the spring. *Knock on wood* nothing last year or this so far (except maybe Hoss, but that may have been a marrow bone he had the night before).

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
We deal with it alot. Sadly once ya get it seems ya always do. I try to keep my dogs on probiotics which helps. During spring and high giardia times I dose heavier with probiotics and I use Immunogard.
Cinder use to get it ALL the time but things have been better since on probiotics. It's common, my dogs get it at least once a year and I think it was last year my entire house had it ... dogs and all!!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Quite common in fact the under diagnosed problem worldwide in both animals and humans.

Panacur for 7 days, then rest for 7 days, then panacur again for 5 days usually takes care of it.

Most vets do not give enough meds to fully get rid of it and the vaccine is basically worthless.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Saba had it during his first spring/summer. Took a while to cure it. We had to repeat meds & do new meds 3 times. It was a very resistant strain he had. He even had to get IV for dehydration, poor guy.
All in all - a very unpleasant experience (up 3 to 5 times a night pooping!).

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Had it here last summer. Picked it up at the dog park. No fun is an understatement. My two had to be on 2 rounds of medicine for it. I ended up spraying the back yard with a clorox and water mix. Then each time they pooped I picked it up and sprayed that spot with clorox and water again. Seemed to help, at least I think.
Knock on wood, we haven't had a bout of it since.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Had it here last summer. Picked it up at the dog park. No fun is an understatement.
Reminds of the last time my kids had it. I let them out of their crates (yes, I knew what was about to happen). Picture, before your first morning cup of coffee. Dogs with diarrhea BOUNDING out of their crates...TAILS WAGGING.... diarrhea right up to the ceiling......gag.....

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
have it at least once a year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We have it here in Oregon after snow melt. Lots of water around then and some standing water. Vet explained to me once that all the stuff in the snow...urine...animal feces from wildlife gets exposed then and higher chance of giardia present. Our older lab mix was more prone to it because she would lick her feet after being outside...so would ingest it that way. I've been lucky with Sandy -- knock on wood --. He seems to be less prone to things lurking in moisture and water. It is always worse in streams after first heavy rain or snow melt when everything gets washed into pools of water where it concentrates thus higher giardia count.

It is something that is not fun to deal with that is for sure!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
what a pain. My rottweiler had it for a long time...darn vet couldn't figure out what was wrong, and I was clueless finally we gave him the right dose of meds and it cleared up, but everytime we vacation the poor thing ends up with the squirts again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts