Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a little over a month Wrigley (3months) will have his series of shots completed and it will soon be time for me to start taking him on walks, ob training etc. I have started to try and get him used to his leash. I was told to put it on him and just let him run around with it. However, every time I put it on, he just rolls over onto his back and starts chewing the leash. Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I start puppies on leash training as soon as they are mobile

I have a selection of very short very light leashes (cat leashes work well)

the first time a leash goes on a puppy is at the food bowl - they eat with the leash on then as they walk away I casually undo it

depending on the puppy I may repeat that a few times or I may move onto attaching the leash at other times the pup has other things to think about - when they are sleeping, when they are heading outdoors to potty - when they are getting a cuddle whatever

if a puppy had learned the roll and play I would distract them with toys from the leash and leave the leash on for quite awhile as long as I was available to provide direct supervision (another reason to use a leash you don't care about)

eventually puppy should be ignoring the leash ... at that point I pick up the end of the leash and follow the pup around.. slowly - oh so slowly - I start directing the movement for a nano second here and there .. eventually I end up with a dog who walks on a loose leash (unless she's heading into agility ring- then all bets are off!)

cheers

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
In addition, you may want to try this: Get a bottle of extra-strong bitter apple spray, and dump it into a bowl. Soak the entire leash in the bowl overnight, so the foul taste permeates the nylon.

Some dogs don't mind the taste, but it is worth a try.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I use a different approach. I start out by luring the pup (w/ kibble) at heel position. It teaches them where I want them to be. Once they figure out the game, I'll add the leash for more formal work. By that time they are so fixated on the possibility of getting a treat, the leash doesn't really exist. -Anne

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I too do lots of "with me" type work with leash, without leash and dragging leash but I wait for them to be in position to reward

I do little luring but lots of rewarding for hitting the right place :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts