Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arghhh will he ever lay down!!

Alfie doesnt seem to know how to relax, he has had a 3 hr walk today. I went down horse field and then walked him along some fields where he played with a black lab all the time, went bk to the horse field and while we picked up horse poop one of us was constantly kicking a football for him. Then we went to the park as my sons school is there and he needed to be picked up so while we waited he had a good 20 mins with his chuck it.

In the house he lays on the mat but fidgets, you look at him and he gets up, you move and he follows (which is normal for labs isnt it?) but he sleeps for 5 mins and has to wonder about the house.

Is this normal or are their some relaxing exercises I can do with him?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
As I posted in O&E, it is probably the exercise that has wound him up. 3 hours is a lot for any dog in one go, particularly if a lot of fetching is involved.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kal3idoscope said:
Sounds like he's got a rubber band that's wound extra tight! Eek.

Have you tried giving him a King filled with things? That really seems to get Abbey to chill out and just sit there for a while trying to get all of the stuff out.
That the only thing he hasnt got :laugh: worth a shot!

Trickster said:
As I posted in O&E, it is probably the exercise that has wound him up. 3 hours is a lot for any dog in one go, particularly if a lot of fetching is involved.
That was this morning though and it was more a walk and then him being with us and a quick trip to park..ok that is exercise lol Maybe if i split it into 2?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
That was this morning though
Doesn't matter. 3 hours with lots of added ball games will make any dog pumped. Just bear in mind that the more you give a dog, the more it's stamina will increase and the more it will come to expect.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trickster said:
Doesn't matter. 3 hours with lots of added ball games will make any dog pumped. Just bear in mind that the more you give a dog, the more it's stamina will increase and the more it will come to expect.
Ooo crap never thought of that :surprise:

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Trickster said:
Where were you when I needed those words of wisdom??????? Too late for me now, I guess. She has way to much stamina and way too high expectations. I am smart enough that I should have figured that out. Hmmm! Not so smart, am I?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Endofile said:
Trickster said:
Where were you when I needed those words of wisdom??????? Too late for me now, I guess. She has way to much stamina and way too high expectations. I am smart enough that I should have figured that out. Hmmm! Not so smart, am I?
I know god dammit! I wish Id have figured that one out, I just thought..big dog, energetic, needs alot of exercise..oh bummer :laugh:

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
kaznalf said:
kal3idoscope said:
Sounds like he's got a rubber band that's wound extra tight! Eek.

Have you tried giving him a King filled with things? That really seems to get Abbey to chill out and just sit there for a while trying to get all of the stuff out.
That the only thing he hasnt got :laugh: worth a shot!
If you plug the bottom hole with peanut butter, you can fill the insides with whatever and then close the top with PB and throw it in the freezer. Abbey loves when I put unsweetened applesauce, pieces of dog treats and plain, lowfat yogurt in layers inside. When it's frozen it takes even longer! :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts