Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what's going on, but my neighbors in an apartment building next to mine just acquired a dog in the past couple of weeks. It looks like a black lab mix with a halfway docked tail.

Anyways, the guy and girl are outside with the dog for literally HOURS a day, just walking around. Normally, I wouldn't really care, but both of them walk the dog up to my window. This window, by the way, is set about 5 feet back, underneath my above neighbor's balcony. There is no reason to be so close.. at all, because the next building is 300+ ft away with lots of nice grass and trees to sniff. :yell:

Every time the dog comes up to the window it starts barking, which of course sets my two off. This has happened at least 30 times... and many other times, I'm sure, when my dogs haven't been there.

I don't mind if Abbey barks once or twice as a rule, but when they keep walking the dog up to the window, over and over, it gets quite annoying. :embarassed:

Now they live on the same floor in the building next to me, so I'm debating whether I should just keep walking my two next to their window so their dog goes off or if I should just say something?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
I would talk to them nicely. If there is a grassy area away from your window , then that's where they should be with their dog. Needless to say..if I walked by someone's window and saw that their dogs went nuts barking...common sense I would not go over by their window, especially if it can be avoided in the first place.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Now they live on the same floor in the building next to me, so I'm debating whether I should just keep walking my two next to their window so their dog goes off or if I should just say something?
Although walking by their window repeatedly would be funny, you should say something to them (although they should be able to see how annoying this is). Some people just don't get it. I live on a private road, and along one side there is a huge field that us and the other 2 families on the road jointly own. There is a woman that likes to walk her dog down our road, and she walks soooooooooooo sssssslllllloooooooooowwwwww. She lets go of the leash and lets the dog investigate out the in field, and in our yards. The dog comes up into our yard, and it drives Bauer nuts. He runs out to the dog, and the dog runs out beyond the invisible fense, Bauer stops and barks, repeat, repeat, repeat. I lost it one day, and let her have it (I would suggest being a little nicer than I was). She no longer comes all the way to my house.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Try to talk to them nicely. But I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll be reasonable - they may be like my neighbor on the next block who insists on walking past my place several times a day with her little chihuahua. For some reason, that particular dogs sets mine off and they go crazy. She's fully aware of this, and could walk a different block or even cross the street. But she doesn't.

I hope your neighbors are more reasonable.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Try to talk to them nicely. But I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll be reasonable - they may be like my neighbor on the next block who insists on walking past my place several times a day with her little chihuahua. For some reason, that particular dogs sets mine off and they go crazy. She's fully aware of this, and could walk a different block or even cross the street. But she doesn't.

I hope your neighbors are more reasonable.
I had this problem with a neighbor from around the corner who would SLOWLY walk her little mutt past my house twice daily despite Lucy barknig from inside my house wildly with each trip. Back and forth - so 4 times every day.

When Lucy died the neighbor found a different route. Some people are just warped.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
That's just weird! I can't believe they come up to your window underneath the deck above you. I know none of the outside is probably "technically" yours, but to me that seems like a total invasion of what should be universally understood to be "your" space. In my mind, it would be the deck and probably 20' out from the deck.

They're probably close-talkers too. :p

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Justine,
I'd try and talk to them! I've seen your window in pics, and there is no reason they should be that close to it! Gr.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I will talk to them the next time I see them. I just don't understand why they are out there for that long with their dog. I've never seen the people outside this much in the past weeks, so I don't think they are just outside people. But they are literally out there for HOURS per day, walking it back and forth past my (and my neighbors') window...!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
They've moved out now but before they did I made friends with the boy and he ended up getting to know Dex and giving him treats. It was the perfect result!
LOL! I was going to suggest kicking his A$$. I guess it worked out without my suggestion. :)

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
LOL! I was going to suggest kicking his A$$. I guess it worked out without my suggestion. :)
LOL Debi! Trust me I wanted too!! We did not know he was doing it. I caught him one day when I came home from work at the window making barking noises (I kid you not). I thought Dexter was gonna come through the window!! I felt sorry for him in a way, he didnt seem to have any friends and I think he was doing it out of boredom. Me and my wife introduced him to Dex one day and he gave him a couple of treats. It was a good thing all round.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The best way to stop this is to actually let the dogs become friends, and then instead of barking they will just come and say hi. Otherwise they will start trying to fight when you take your dogs out.

Pretty much all dogs from inside the houses bark at us during our morning walks. Misha and Homer have learned to ignore and we just walk by. With some dogs they have made friends and they don´t bark at us anymore.

I don´t let Misha and Homer bark and get territorial and over excited when other dogs come by my house. They have learned to just sniff and sometimes run by the garage door but that´s as much excitement as I will allow. I live in front of the park and of course there are people walking with dogs all day long. I have my neighbors dogs because they bark at passing by dogs ALL the time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts