Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Have you done your homework on Labs?
First, they will eat anything that will fit in their mouth. A new puppy must be watched constantly. Best to properly crate train your pup so you can leave it unattended until you complete basic obedience training. Train the pup by feeding it in the crate. The object is to teach your pup that the crate is its private space and home. It is NOT cruel to crate the pup and it will save your sanity. Get a large crate open wire with partitions so it can be adjusted as your pup grows. I also recommend a Primo Pad for the crate. They are truly indestructible, even for a Lab. A Lab will eat anything else you put in the crate.
Second, complete basic obedience training. Labs will train you if you don’t train them.
Third, take a lot of photos from day one. Your pup will probably weigh 60 pounds by four months and 80 pounds by 10 months. They grow up very fast.
Any other questions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great advice. I just want to add. I’ve heard it’s best to leave the puppy with the mommy and litter as long as possible. They learn a lot there, like not to scratch at you. I got mine from a backyard breeder and they pushed for me to take home the pup at five weeks! boy do I regret that. Her razor sharp teeth and paws cut up my arms pretty bad repeatedly and her jumping… it was rough. She’s five now and well behaved but it took about 2 1/2 to three years for her to calm down. I will never take a puppy that young again. Even six weeks is too young. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great advice. I just want to add. I’ve heard it’s best to leave the puppy with the mommy and litter as long as possible. They learn a lot there, like not to scratch at you. I got mine from a backyard breeder and they pushed for me to take home the pup at five weeks! boy do I regret that. Her razor sharp teeth and paws cut up my arms pretty bad repeatedly and her jumping… it was rough. She’s five now and well behaved but it took about 2 1/2 to three years for her to calm down. I will never take a puppy that young again. Even six weeks is too young. Good luck!
I totally agree that the beginning is very tough for pawrents, biting, scratching, eating poop, eating anything but gradually after five, six months, it's a relief.
@pridemypet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts