Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so the big move is this coming Tuesday and I'm trying to get all the first aide stuff packed for the animals in case something happens (no, i'm not paranoid, I'm prepared) anyway...apollo usually does great in the car and has never had a problem with car sickness, but this is a 22 hour drive and I want to make sure I have something on hand for him in case he or any of the other animals get car sick. Any idea what to use?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure I'll be TOTALLY relaxed DURING the move, its just this before business thats stressfull lol. I'm having to update everyone's tags and microchips and make sure I have all their vaccine info and meds. I just wanna make sure the ride STAYS unstressful by having nausea meds and cleaning stuff on hand in case any of them DOES get carsick. Ya know what I mean? A puking dog/cat/ferret in the back seat would kinda ruin the tranquility lol

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Make sure you pack ziploc bags. My one son used to get car sick and ziplocs are great, you seal everything up and it seals in the odor and there is no dripping. When we had a German Shepherd that would get car sick the vet told us to give him benadryl before the ride and it worked. I would ask your vet.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke with the vet and they reccomended some high falutin expensive prescription meds and I really didn't want to pay money for something I may not use, that expires by the next time i'd ever need it. I asked if they could reccomend anything over the counter and they said that they 'only give reccomendations along with an office visit!" :eek: boy oh boy I can't WAIT to get to a better vet in st. louis.

Great suggestion about the ziploc bags, will most certainly do.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Ginger is a great idea. I get motion sickness when I fly but if I use ginger (or nasty pills which I prefer to avoid) I feel completely fine. I hear it works for dogs, too.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I think possibly you may find something at the pet store, for car sickness for Apollo. Petsmart should carry something.....

I'm excited for you to get "back home" !! Have a very safe trip.... just be SURE to grab that leash, BEFORE you open any car doors..... that's the last thing you want to happen.......

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ooohhh!!! good point about the leash! Don't wanna lose apollo in the middle of no where!

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Relax. Have a safe trip. Take a few towels & a box of ginger snap cookies. We take the girls to the Outer Banks every year & ut's a 10 hour ride. They usually fall asleep a few hours into the trip. Yes, have a leash handy so Apollo doesn't bolt when it's time for a pee break. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts