Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now in my Geography class we're covering the United States and Canada, including what bodies of water and land masses that we share.

This girl (along with quite a few others) was convinced that Niagara Falls is NOT located anywhere near Canada, nope according to her it's just a part of New York. I honestly didn't think people were that stupid.

Several people couldn't name more then one place in Canada...mostly people just went for Toronto (but they couldn't tell you that it was in Ontario).

Am I in the minority of the class? I was able to list several "places" in Canada, as well as the bodies of water it shares with the U.S.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not surprised at all. Are there any in your class that think we all live in igloos? ;)
I'm going to go with yes (we'll have to wait until Tuesday when we finish sharing what we know).

Besides the Niagara falls thing, my personal favorite was the girl who thought that you couldn't drive into Canada. She wasn't exactly sure how people got over that border, but driving was not an option. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Tell her you have Canadian friends who live in Igloos and don't have cars - we have dog sleds or ride reindeer. LOL

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Not surprised at all. Are there any in your class that think we all live in igloos? ;)
Wait. You don't? Come on now, everyone knows Canadians live in igloos, club baby seals to death on their days off and then finish off the night with a big plate of poutine and Lebatt Blue.

Geography sounds fun Stacey! Do you like the class?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bwhwhaha Karina I almost choked on an apple slice!!

Jess, so far it's been a pretty interesting class. The professor is horrible, but the information is easily read at home so I've been enjoying it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
it makes me sad that Canadian Georgraphy is a college-level course.. we have very few provinces! how hard can it be?

Someone needs to tell these people that Toronto is also knows as the centre of the universe and Quebec is the centre of parliament.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
my personal favorite was the girl who thought that you couldn't drive into Canada. She wasn't exactly sure how people got over that border, but driving was not an option. :rolleyes:
Some of us can get over the border, we just can't get back without a strip search. :cool:

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it makes me sad that Canadian Georgraphy is a college-level course.. we have very few provinces! how hard can it be?

Someone needs to tell these people that Toronto is also knows as the centre of the universe and Quebec is the centre of parliament.
There are people in my class who are 23 and couldn't point to Maryland on a map...and they have lived here their entire lives!!!

It's a world Geography course so we're bound to cover stuff that people are unaware of but the US and Canada..come on people!! I wanted to scream at them today.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Sadly, I'm not shocked.

When I first started dating Brendan- people would ask him if he saw a lot of moose. The man grew up in Toronto. Believe it or not- Moose do not hang out in the GTA. Crazy, eh? LOL.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
People's lack of geographical knowledge scare's me. I was in a meeting one day and one of our bosses son called all in a panic. He was driving home from college in Illinios and the route he was to take was shut down due to an accident. He couldn't flip open the map inside the trip-tik page from AAA to tell him how to get back to the interstate. I ended up pulling up a map on the internet and giving him step by step directions.

Now I drove cross country from Phoenix to Tronto to Montreal to southern Vermont and back at 16 and never even opened a map. We moved so often I could naviagate by recall and sense of direction.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha If I could podcast it, that would be hysterical!!!

the other day (tuesday) I had a webcam convo with my friend and she was losing her mind of course I had to be quiet but the stuff other people said amused her

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how might one go about podcasting a class? Can I just record the audio from my laptop?

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'll see what I can do on Tuesday!

Watch now that I've made fun of everyone they're going to prove me wrong!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts