Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tuesday, 13 January , 2009, 11:10

New York: When California man Greg Hardesty went through his daughter Reina’s cellphone statement, he almost laughed out hysterically.

His 13-year-old daughter’s statement showed that she had sent an astonishing 14,528 text messages in one month, and the online AT&T statement ran 440 pages.

“First, I laughed. I thought, ‘That's insane, that's impossible’,” the New York Post quoted the 45-year-old dad as saying.

“And I immediately whipped out the calculator to see if it was humanly possible,” he said.

Upon checking he discovered that 484 text messages had been sent per day, which came out to be one every two minutes of every waking hour.

“Then I thought maybe AT&T made some mistake on the bill,” said Hardesty, of Silverado Canyon.

But when the reporter for the Orange County Register grilled his daughter on her texting habit, he discovered something else.

“Who are you texting, anyway? Your entire school?” he asked.

“Well, a lot of my friends have unlimited texting. I just text them pretty much all the time,” she explained.

Luckily, Hardesty has a phone plan that allows unlimited texting for 30 dollars a month. Otherwise, he estimates, he would have owed AT&T 2,905.60 dollars at a rate of 20 cents per message.

The average number of monthly texts for a 13 to 17-year-old teen is 1,742, according to a Nielsen study of cellphone usage.

Hardesty admits he himself punches in 900 messages a month, 700 more than average for his age group, according to Nielsen.

Hardesty and his ex-wife have since placed restrictions on Reina's cellphone use, ruling she cannot text after dinner.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Do people even talk to eachother anymore? It's sad....

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I have never texted ANYONE! EVER!

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I just got a new phone, so I am texting my kids to "use it". No one else tho'! I texted DH and he called and said "DON'T SEND ME TEXTS, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO WORK THAT SH!T" LOL, already then.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Shelly's a DP! DUPLICATE POSTER! DUPLICATE POSTER!! FOR SHAME!! :laugh:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thunders Mom said:
I just got a new phone, so I am texting my kids to "use it". No one else tho'! I texted DH and he called and said "DON'T SEND ME TEXTS, I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO WORK THAT SH!T" LOL, already then.
:laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
It takes me so long to type out a text message that I could probably drive home from work and tell my husband in person! About the only time I use it is with my kids when they are at work and don't won't to interrupt them.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
And I thought I text a lot. I should show this to the SU next time he bitches that I text him instead of calling him. LOL

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Yikes! Me and Jason will use BB Messenger to talk to each other while he's at work or during his guard drills, but that's out it. I don't like to talk on the phone very much, but sometimes, it's good to hear an actual voice on the other end.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
i lrnt txtng @ hosp @ xmas
only way to tlk to fam @ times
ws pita and $$
but now i txt gd

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
:surprise: That's nuts.

I have Verizon and I have unlimited "IN" texting to Verizon people but only 1500 to non-Verizon people and have never gone over it. I text more than I talk, because it's easy to text and get away with it in class, whereas you can't really talk on the phone during classes! ;) I have one of those phones with a full keyboard and LOVE it! :D

But I know kids who are like that... they have cell phones in middle school and send thousands of text messages everyday. I send maybe 20 a day?

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I don't understand who kids text anyway....they see all their friends at school the next day. What on earth do they talk about when they send hundreds of text messages???

Oh, our Engagement Party invites went out and our RSVP date is tomorrow. We have even had people TEXT us to say they would be coming. They couldn't even ring... what is the world coming to??

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Seems to me that Mom and dad missed the boat on this one. If a teen can text that many messages a day, I would guess that teen isn't paying attention in class, isn't doing home work and basically has eyes and thumbs glued to a phone all day. This soon to be young adult will let an entire education pass her by. Nice. Good job parents! It's a good thing you have tough rules! No texting after dinner? WTF. How'bout only texting after school!

We'll be complaining about this gal when she gets a job in a few years. She'll be the one that can't make change from a buck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts