Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have two of those topsy-turvy planters. I want to put a tomato plant in one. Only one, because Bill is not big on fresh tomatoes so I only need enough for me.

What can I put in the second one? Not green peppers, because we don't use much green pepper. I'd love cucumbers, but they are a vine plant and I don't think they would work. Would a bush green bean work? What else is a possibility?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm putting a cucumber in one of mine. It is one of the suggestions to plant on the side of the box.
Really? Cool beans! :D We do love cucumbers in summer; all year, actually. I was afraid they wouldn't work because they are more of a vine than a bush. Thanks!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Labby said: Um, Jackie. Tomatoes are vine plants too. ;) (I still have not figured out how to do multiple quotes.)

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Laura, we weren't going to tell her that...you know how it is as you get up there in age you don't think as clearly. :D
BWAAHAAAHAAA!! :p Add blonde to the age and I'm a lethal weapon in the wrong hands!

Yeah, I knew they are vine-y, but the cukes I've seen were more like runners, like squash vines, and I thought they'd be too long. I'm going to try one, anyway. Wonder if Pinter's has any English cucumbers? I already have most of a bag of the Miracle Gro potting soil that retains moisture. :D

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'm going to try those things too. Just for tomatoes though. I once grew cucumbers on a trellis - worked awesome! I had a billion cukes with that method.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I have 2 of these as well, they were for sale for $10 each at Home Outfitters and I had 20% off coupons! I am going to plant tomatoes and green peppers. Too cold here yet though. Although I guess I could get the seedlings started now inside. How many seedlings will you put in each one? I think you can plant more than one...?

Let me know how the cucumbers work, maybe I'll try those next year!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I make my own upside-down planters out of those white 5-gallon plastic buckets. They work great for any kind of vine type plant.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Last night I had a dream about growing tomatoes and cucumbers upside down ... all because of this thread! Crazy!!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have 2 of these as well, they were for sale for $10 each at Home Outfitters and I had 20% off coupons! I am going to plant tomatoes and green peppers. Too cold here yet though. Although I guess I could get the seedlings started now inside. How many seedlings will you put in each one? I think you can plant more than one...?

Let me know how the cucumbers work, maybe I'll try those next year!
I am going to get seedlings from the nursery down the road. I never have luck growing anything from seed myself. I'll try one tomato and maybe two cukes.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Make sure the "root ball" of the plants aren't huge. I made that mistake. Damaged the plant trying to get it into the hole on the bottom of the planter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts