Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, all you gardeners, how are things looking this week after the Big Freeze of 2007?

I was leaving for work yesterday and noticed the Japanese Maple. The sun was behind it, and I noticed it shining through some bits of bright red! ;D Got out of the car and looked, and lo and behold, new leaves! :D

Checked out the other JM, and it has new leaflets coming out as well!

Still no action on the crepe myrtles, but it was the Japanese Maples I was most concerned about. Crepe Myrtles are a dime a dozen. ;) Japanese Maples are a dime a leaf. :eek: :D

I looked more closely just now, and so far I am not seeing leaflets yet on every branch, so I may need to do some pretty heavy pruning once we see where we are. But I am just thrilled that there is hope for them!

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I was just thinking about how your JM's were doing yesterday when I walked past mine. Glad they have perked up! :) Don't prune them yet. I just read where you can prune them ANY TIME.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I think the only thing that we actually lost will be the apples and peaches this year. They were in blossem and the freeze did them in. The trees are fine. Won't have any asparagus - but we just planted it this year so weren't going to pick it anyways. I lost my beautiful bleeding heart flowers that I ususally post a picture of, but not the plants. I don't think we lost any actual plants - if some of them got killed, other parts are coming up now. Plants are pretty hardy.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh I'm so glad your maples survived. They are a favorite of mine. My crepes survived our freeze and are almost completely leafed out now (baby leaves at this point).

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Lone daffodil (of 10 planted, the only to survive squirrel terrorists) blooming well
Tulips: a bit of frostbite on the leaves, but flower buds have appeared
Lilac shrub: leafing
Spirea: dry stick, chewed by Sophie, stomped by all 3 dogs and then tossed
by me
Rose of Sharon: still no action, not holding much hope anymore.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spirea: dry stick, chewed by Sophie, stomped by all 3 dogs and then tossed
by me
:D Exactly the same story here

Rose of Sharon: still no action, not holding much hope anymore.
Oh, yeah, I need to go check mine. Will do that now. It's in the backyard and didn't look great last time I looked...

ETA: Hey kaytris! Signs of growth! It's spotty at this point, like the JM's, and I can't tell if it will bud all the way up all the branches, but I am seeing buds! More on the lower part of the plant rather than the upper so far. Maybe give it a bit longer!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sue, thanks for thinking of my JMs! :angel: Yes, I promise to leave everything alone until I am positive they have had a chance to get their feet back under them!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my redbud is a little slow on budding this year as is our japenese maple but the rest of our trees are blooming like crazy. we have a flowering crabapple and plum tree that are absolutely breathtaking. waiting now for the redbud, maple, and my lilac trees in the backyard to bloom.

·
0 Posts
We're just geeting to the point where things are starting to bloom so there was no real damage from the cold weather. :D

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Two of our Rose of Sharon is still in hibernation, but they are in a shady spot so they take a while, the other looks to be doing okay in the sun. In fact all of our shrubs look like they are doing well, even the ones I tried to kill last year.......hmmm.

The daffs and tulips were superb! And my hosta's? Wow! Growing like weeds.... I am very surprised and happy............

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I lost these beautiful zinnia's in the freeze over Easter. They just flat out shriveled up and died. Had 'em covered up too.

I replanted new zinnias of a different variety last weekend.

We have two hydrangea plants that suffered but finally just this week are showing improvement.

All the other flowers are doing great!

Our vegetable garden has made leaps and bounds this week as well. Its been a little sluggish since Easter. Well, we lost our green beans and corn but it was early enough to replant. The new plants are up and looking great! Our tomatos were a little iffy for a while but look great again too - even the two we thought were goners! We also have okra, potatos, onions, cabbage, squash and zucchini and they all made it without problem. The whole garden looks so good now! Mmm Mm, can't wait! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts