Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and can show me pics? I need ideas! Oh, and do you like yours? What would you do differently? or not do?

·
Registered
554 Posts
My brother and I built one for our mom a few years back. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures.

If you don't do it right...it is a friggen HEADACHE and a half!!!

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
How much of your free time do you want to lose?

They are a pain in the ass, I currently have a small one(500 gal, plastic molded containers) in the front yard. it is about 3 feet deep, about 10 feet long. Keep goldfish and plants in it during the summer to help keep the water clear, but it does not do a very good job, my pump and filter sucks and not in a good way. You really need a good filtration system and a dependable pump.

Currently building a larger pond in the back yard, this one is currently 6 feet deep and will be about 20 feet in circumference, will have a waterfall fish and plants. hoping it will be big enough to have the fish stay in the pond all year.

No pics as of yet, I am sure it will take me another 2 years to finish it.

Here is a good website that will give you some ideas on how to build one.
http://clearwaterlandscapes.com/buildpond.pdf

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hunter said:
How much of your free time do you want to lose?

They are a pain in the ass, I currently have a small one(500 gal, plastic molded containers) in the front yard. it is about 3 feet deep, about 10 feet long. Keep goldfish and plants in it during the summer to help keep the water clear, but it does not do a very good job, my pump and filter sucks and not in a good way. You really need a good filtration system and a dependable pump.

Currently building a larger pond in the back yard, this one is currently 6 feet deep and will be about 20 feet in circumference, will have a waterfall fish and plants. hoping it will be big enough to have the fish stay in the pond all year.

No pics as of yet, I am sure it will take me another 2 years to finish it.

Here is a good website that will give you some ideas on how to build one.
http://clearwaterlandscapes.com/buildpond.pdf
LOL! Free time? What is free time? j/k. I know they can be alot of work, I'm ready for that I think. Your backyard pond sounds like it will be nice. Thanks for that link too, I've book marked it for future references as well.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I do!

Oh wait, it's not this type of pond you are talking about. How about the small one in our back yard?

Yes, that is a real frog.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sue!! LOL!!!

I love both your ponds!! How big is the "small" one? My mom bought me a 90gal preformed liner last year for my b-day, that's what I've got to start with. I'm actually thinking about two ponds, interconnected somehow...

Very nice pics!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
My BIL does ponds. He works at a nursery in Caledon. He put one in my inlaws backyard a few years ago. It's nice. I could probably hook you up. ;)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Friend of mine built one. About 20 feet in diameter. Really nice. He had a big barbecue to christian it and for everybody to watch him dump in all the fancy koi.

Within a week the coyotes and raccoons had cleared him out. He didn't see the humor in it the way we did.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't know how many gallons it is ... to long ago to remember! ;) It was on of the ponds that was left when the feed store closed and I was the only one that wanted it. ;D It looks to be about 6-7' long and 4' wide, 3' deep. My fish stay in it over winter though we do cover it to help with insulation. We also have a small water pump moving water in the winter.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
How do you keep your dogs out of them ??? We have the natural little pond/creek with covered bridge out back and we can't keep the boys out of there when there's water in it (dries up by summers end).

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh, the other bummer thing about them? We had probably 20 frogs at high count one time. Griffin-cat like to hunt them and torture them. :'(

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Katies Mom said:

I love mine, and my fish eat out of my hand. Once it is established there is no work to it. Just like natural lakes or ponds.
Uh, I'm totally moving in with you.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nancy, I'll be there by Thursday.

Seriously, holy nice pond batman. And river. And waterall. And Koi.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts