Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice on how to keep …or train there labs to stay out of the trash? Willow and Autumn are horrible at getting into the trash.and lately it seems to be escalating once I’m out of site it’s trash diving for them!

I am sick of having to pick up trash barrels that they knock over outside and they are always getting into the trash in the house as well..no matter what i do with it.

I know diapers are like a bean Burrito to a dog but enough is enough! Not only do I have to clean up the mess but it doesn’t do to well for there breath.

They know they Know they are being “bad” when they get into it because if I catch them red handed they walk..or run away with there tails and ears down….so I know that they KNOW there being bad!...labs are not stupid…

I am just looking for a ways to keep them out of it safely….i have heard of putting bleach on your trash to keep animals out but this may work for rodents I do not want to harm my labbys.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Bess was my constant trash diver, counter surfer.

Although I trained her to do many fantastic things, I was utterly unable to train her to leave any reachable food alone OR to not rummage through any trash barrel for a hint of food.

So in this, she trained us.

For Labs like this, Never leave food either unsupervised or on a counter.

Place all trash barrels that have even the slightest hint of food in them behind latched or possibly locked doors.

Some Labs have a food drive beyond any hope of training.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Keep the trash out of their way...my outside bin is locked in our shed, the indoor bin is in the dining room which he wont dare touch while we are about..when out he is shut into the kitchen so cant get at it anyway

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Flynn is like Bob's Bess: completely untrainable when it comes to the kitchen trash bin and counter surfing. I must say, he never tries it on when I'm home, only when I'm gone. (The recent bacon grease episode is a good example.)

So every time I go out and every night at bedtime (just to be sure - he can be a nightime thief) I put the kitchen bin up on top of the washing machine. Kind of a pain but not as big a pain as cleaning up nasty trash strewn all through the kitchen, through the doggie door, and into the back yard!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
double baby locks !

Thats what we had to do for Bud cause he is too
smart and can open one but not two !!!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This is what we got:
http://www.doggy-safe.com/

Our problem was the beagles grabbing the bag and tipping the whole can over. BJ was blameless (he was in the crate). They can't even flip up the lid on this can.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I agree with the others that you need to remove the bin and remove the temptation. Milly is like that with her food bin. We had to buy one that is locked and if she knows she can access it while we are at work she will do whatever she can to get to it (my half eaten wooden laundry door is proof lol) so we have to eliminate the temptation otherwise there is no way she would stop.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Our kitchen bin has a cover, but Zoe is able to open it w/her nose. I got the bin, put something very tempting inside, showed it to her. She tried to open the top. "ah ah; leave it" she left it..."good leave it" treat w/something better than tempting food inside bin.

repeat, repeat.

Our bathroom containers have no tops but no food inside. She used to love to take out the kleenex; same method.

today, we leave everything out and she ignores them.

good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had the same issue with Chuck, and have come to the same conclusion....just put the trash where he can't get it.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I have a Simple Human garbage can (both in the kitchen and bathrooms) which my 2 simply cannot get into.

My outdoor cans have locking tops. I have not had any problem with this since getting this kind of can.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Champ is a champion trash thief. Kitchen, bathroom, no matter - he'll go after it. For the kitchen, we have a very large basket (holds a 33 gallon bag) with a flat lid. We put a small cooler on top of the lid to keep him out of it when we're home. The bathroom trash cans are either up on the counter, or the door is closed. The outside trash can is located where they cannot get to it from the tie-down.

When we go out, Champ is crated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts