Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK why won't my garage door shut on it's own? It will open just fine but the only way it will close is if you HOLD the garage door opener or the button inside. :suspious:

It's ticking me off!

T

·
0 Posts
It's the Wee Little Garden Gnome, it's holding it open so you can't shut it...tell Melissa you've found it...she's gonna be soooo happy :laugh:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tundra Aries said:
It's the Wee Little Garden Gnome, it's holding it open so you can't shut it...tell Melissa you've found it...she's gonna be soooo happy :laugh:
:laugh: I will squish him like a bug :laugh:

T

·
0 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
Tundra Aries said:
:laugh: I will squish him like a bug :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think Melissa warns that it bites...be careful...I got your back.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
With the colder weather, ours has been doing this also. Someone said adjust the torgue. I'm too lazy to climb up there and do that so I keep forcing it to close with the opener! :laugh:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BoatDog said:
Mom's did that - the beams that keep it from shutting on something were "off" by just a hair - see if that's it!
Well I messed with them but still nothing...DH better get it fixed or I will CALL someone :whistle:

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Ours is broken right now too mostly it's just that the door is bent right in the middle because one of the support brackets on the door is broke so it sags when it's up and the opener isn't powerful enough to get it over the sag. So you have to get out and open it by hand which is SOOOOO annoying when it's this cold and yucky out. I beleive our tax refund will be going to a new garage door and opener this year...wooo hoooo :crazy:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I never thought about the cold, but the rails could have contracted and are now squeezing it when it's open.

So the solution is to sell your place and move to Maui.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
do you have to hold the button in for it to work? if so, the sensors are bad. river and cissy tore the sensors out of mine and i am finally getting around to getting them fixed this week. $89 service call and $40 for each pair of sensors....on top of that, the gear is finally stripped....oh the joys of a house getting older.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Ours is doing the same thing sometimes and it is brand freaking new! I need to get them to come out and fix it.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dweck said:
I never thought about the cold, but the rails could have contracted and are now squeezing it when it's open.

So the solution is to sell your place and move to Maui.
You don't have to tell me twice :laugh:

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
zoezoe said:
do you have to hold the button in for it to work? if so, the sensors are bad. river and cissy tore the sensors out of mine and i am finally getting around to getting them fixed this week. $89 service call and $40 for each pair of sensors....on top of that, the gear is finally stripped....oh the joys of a house getting older.
No it works fine going up..just a flip of the opener and it's up...just the going down part won't work! :ugly:

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Ours only acts up when it goes down, too. Seems like only my door opener, never Denny's! But in our case it won't close via the opener, you have to go back inside the garage, hold down the button, and then go out the front door. Total PITA.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Allie said:
Ours only acts up when it goes down, too. Seems like only my door opener, never Denny's! But in our case it won't close via the opener, you have to go back inside the garage, hold down the button, and then go out the front door. Total PITA.
PITA is right!! defeats the whole purpose :whistle:

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Still sounds like the sensors. Call a fix it garage door place and tell them on the phone. They knew right away what I was talking about...I mentioned "dogs" and they laughed...said they see A LOT of that.
I have 2 doors and one will go up with just one push but I have to hold it down to get it to close. The other side is totally messed up now.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Zoezoe I am sure it's the sensors.

I found this online

"I have to hold down the remote button for the door to open or close? [Answer +/-]

The receiver might be sending a weak signal, and may need replacing, or check the power source. If your receiver runs on batteries, check those as well as the remote.

Another option may be the sensors. Most openers have infra-red sensors that mount on either side of the garage door a few inches off the floor. When the infra-red sensors are malfunctioning, usually one of the sensor lights will be blinking. Make sure there is nothing obstructing the sensor beam. The sensor may need to be re-aligned or the photo lens needs to be cleaned."

I didn't see any lights on our sensors....used to be a green light. :suspious:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts