Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a little bit proud of myself. My confidence is returning. After 10 years of no riding, I actually felt secure enough today to ask my horse to canter! Yeah, I held onto the horn... but man it feel good!!

Gandy jogging

Gandy side pass (sort of) (picture reads from right to left)

Gandy canters (picture reads from right to left)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Excellent, Linda! You look good and Gandy does, too. Seems you are both relaxing and loosening up.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno Jackie. Truth be told she was a real witch today. Kept putting it in reverse and wouldn't go forward. I finally dismounted and walked her to the end of the field (my goal was to get her there come hell or high water). Got back on her (and that was a laugh without my step ladder, but I managed!!!). After that we seem to have reached an agreement. I think each ride we do, she tests me and I just have to work through it, and hopefully at some point we'll be back to where we used to be 10 years ago... or close to where we were (I don't think either of us will be as good as we once were, we're both 10 years older!!)

I'm also working my nerve up to get on my new horse Dixie. I have to get her a bridle first. I've been looking around ;)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Do you work Gandy in a round pen, like Laura does with Toby? That might be a good idea with Dixie, too, to work the kinks and hijinks out of her before you mount her. ;)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I don't have a round pen any longer. Used to have one, but sold it eons ago.

Talked to my blacksmith about Dixie. He said she's really soft and really quick, which I can detect just from working with her on the ground. She reminds me so much of my old horse Sea. She could spin on a dime, slide to stop and was so ultra responsive to me that I had to really watch my cues.

As you can see by my heavy use of legs and hands with Gandy, she's a big oaf, and a lazy one too. I have to work the entire time to keep her moving, it's exhausting!

One of these day's I'll get on Dixie. She's only 13.3 hands, not too far to fall ;)

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
You may not be as good as you once were, but you as good once as you ever were. Gee didn't I hear someone sing that once. lol I've got to come riding when you get both horses going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts