Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't ride, too hot out there, but took a few shots today just for fun.

Here's my little pony Dixie. Do you think she's getting too much to eat? LOL!

I think she looks like a little western range horse here.

And here's my girl, Gandy...Ignore the leg and head growing out of her tummy, bad photography, I know, but I liked her expression here...

And last but not least, for Nance... here Gandy is chasing Scaredy Cat out of the pasture... No cats were harmed in taking this shot.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Dixie is a pretty little thing. Why don't you ride her? Is she too small? She looks like a full-size horse.

I don't believe Gandy would chase the cat, I think the cat was leading Gandy to a better spot to graze on!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I don't know a thing about horse weight, but Dixie is beautiful! Is she overweight? I think she just looks sturdy.

And thanks for the cat pic, Linda. Go cat go! :)

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dixie has a HUGE belly and always has, from what I've been told. I've been seriously cutting down her feed, but her belly remains. Maybe once I start riding her we can get it down a bit more.

Dixie is 13.3 hands. Technically a pony, but she is a registered Quarter Horse. I'm going to ride her this fall. It's too hot outside now and all I can manage is riding Gandy. I don't know how difficult Dixie might be and don't want to have to fight in the heat ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
They both look great...I love ponies my BR had one that was about Dixie's size.

Can you put a lead on her and trail her behind you when you ride Gandy to get her some exercise? I know when they stopped riding my childhood horse Lil Red they use to trail her some to get her excerise but that way she didn't have the weight of carrying a rider.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Ahh, ok, Dixie is about the size of my Mom's horse/pony, Brandy. Brandy was just a hair shy of 14 hands, and he was built like a barrel.

Leading her might be a good idea, just to get her started working and getting some exercise. Do you have access to a round pen to work her in, before you get on her?

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
I think they both look great. I'll come help you ride. I do ride, you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts