Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - my Blaise is now a robust 6 month old - picture of health, nice weight beautiful thick coat (unlike Diesel) - and he is really gamey. When I let him out of his crate in the morning it is like walking into a teenaged boy's bedroom. Or like my mini-van would smell when I drove home a carload of 14 year old boys from skateboarding.

Gamey.

I really don't want to bathe him - but my house is starting to be just as gamey as he is. Ideas?

It's not ears, he has no hot spots, his coat is very thick and oiler than my other Lab's. There is no medical reason for the stank - he is just....gamey.

·
Registered
601 Posts
My mom has this stuff she rubs on her cat, it's like a foam that you rub on them, then towel them?

I don't know if they have anything like that for dogs or if it's any good or not.

I say take him swimming in a pond or lake or hose him down! ;) That's what my three do. I seem to remember Sam having that smell when he was between puppy and doghood...Gamey really is the best way to describe it!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Now I think of it, Milly smelt more in that 6 - 8 month period too than what she does now? Maybe it's a puppy phase? Maybe it's a summer thing? I'm just throwing ideas out there. I know the smell you mean though!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So maybe it's the age - maybe it's hormonal?

You know - he is SUCH a suck up! He is always climbing up on the couch next to me and cuddling up. He is like my best little buddy with B.O. I love that he does this - but when he departs his aura remains.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
He just hates to leave you LOL..... wants you to always have a piece of him around.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Make sure you wash his bedding often too. The only time I notice any kind of "doggie" smell is when I've been lazy with bedding laundering. :eek:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I go with the listerine and water mixture - spritze on and rub it through - it helps my dogs when they get a little smelly for no real reason. It could be allergy related, although if everything else seems OK, probably not. Might also be age related like the others have suggested - oh, and do wash that bedding! Dogs also vary in their smell - Skippy has always had no noticable odor, and Emilu has always smelled a little more "doggy"

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Mix up a spray bottle with 1 part Listerine to 9 parts water. Spritz him and rub it in. When he dries, he WILL smell better.
Yep. It works very well. We have the yellow kind in a little squirt bottle. I spray Abbey every once in a while and the "mouthwash" smell goes away after a day or so and it gets rid of a lot of the "stink." :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts