Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm in the pre-elementary education program at my school. This is my second semester at my school and I've met with my adviser face to face 2 times (the 2nd was today). Other than that she prefers to e-mail. So we've been e-mailing back and forth, and I asked her if I was able to apply for level one of the program (this was at the beginning of the semester, and mind you the deadline to apply was the beginning of April). She told me no several times, and to apply in the spring of 2010.

So FFW to 11am today. We're going over my current credits so she can lift my hold and I can register for fall when she goes "huh!" and I say "what?" and her reply "Oh, well you should have applied for Level 1 for fall of '09 and there's really only 1 class you need to take" :eek: Seriously woman?! You told me not to apply and now you're telling me that I should have, and that I only have 1 class that I can take (that will count for my major) :mad:

So needless to say I'm registered for 2 classes, I figured I can use the extra one to bring up my GPA. She suggested taking the semester off..ummm no thanks I'll just take 2 simple classes and boost the GPA. *sigh*

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Talk to her supervisor or file some kind of appeal/application. Don't just let that screw you over. Go to the next higher power... especially if you have emails of her telling you you couldn't apply. No sense wasting a semester if you don't have to.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
What an idiot! If staying in school FT meant holding on to health insurance (as it does for my son) she would have cost you that. If you were my daughter I would be down there kicking her ass!

They should bend the rules and allow you to apply late due to your advisor's incompetence.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Talk to her supervisor or file some kind of appeal/application. Don't just let that screw you over. Go to the next higher power... especially if you have emails of her telling you you couldn't apply. No sense wasting a semester if you don't have to.
Yep - what she said. Rules are bent all the time on college campuses.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm I didn't really think of that. I will send off an e-mail to the dean of the college of education to see what I could possibly get worked out. Luckily I don't need to be a FT student to still be covered on my parents insurance.

I would have to take my PRAXIS, but that's easy enough to sign up for and take one weekend.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I would have to take my PRAXIS, but that's easy enough to sign up for and take one weekend.
FWIW, definitely contact the college of education's dean or assistant dean, rules DO get bent all the time on college campuses. They ought to be able to do this as it appears to be due to your adviser's clear oversight.

PRAXIS I or II? Do you have to complete a portfolio in order to move up to the next step? Any sort of classroom practicum (with a cooperating, in-service teacher?)

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Before you contact the Dean, you might consider contacting the chair of the education department--that's the next level up the ladder. I believe that you are at Towson. Here's the chair's name, according to the website:KAREN ROBERTSON Professor and Acting Chair Hawkins Hall Room 105 410.704.5534. (I'm at UMBC. You should not be having these advising problems.) Good luck.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:D I e-mailed the department chair, and then CC'ed the dean of the department.

Anne, it's the PRAXIS I. That's all I need (from my current understanding) to enter Level I of the program. I will start compiling my portfolio in Level I and then it's the next level (I believe) that I get to do my in classroom stuff.

tismom, thanks!! I was at UMBC yesterday visiting with a friend :D

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I would raise holy hell. I think you did the right thing. Even if you do not get into the classes you need you have let her boss and her bosses boss know she screwed up big time.

I would also demand to be assigned to a new adviser as that women doesn't know her a$$ from a hole in the wall. Your adviser should have met with you when you started to plan out your required courses and when you need to take which classes and apply for programs. Then unless something changes I can see email follow ups as long as you are on track. My first adviser sucked big time. So I was talking to one of the prof I really liked and he offered to take me on even though I was a Finance not a Management major. I got great advise from him as he was a retired Motorolla executive and only working part-time but he was up front if I went to him he would be all over my butt to see I was on track and working to his standards. And believe you me he was true to his word. I kept in contact with him for 20 years after I graduated until he died. He was my mentor in a lot of lifes lessons.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Our advisers just sign the form and give you a pin so you can register. I never used them for actually planning my classes. If you need help with that I suggest finding a trusted prof that will give you the advice you need, then use the other adviser for the registering if you still need to. You've got to be your own adviser, as you've found out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts