Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And it is CHICKEN I can smell it every time I step outside with one of the dogs!!

This is always the hardest part of the year for me as a vegetarian. I LOVED BBQ chicken, especially as a kid. It was one of two foods that my dad could get me to eat when I was in a fasting stage of my anorexia. I tied my uncle's record when I was 12. I ate 1.5 chickens plus sides. He set that record after he got out of the corp.

Holidays are easier than having to smell that WONDERFUL smell of BBQ! I have alternatives for gravy and turkey and such for the holidays but BBQ...there is no substitute.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
It's a good thing you don't live next to me, this time of year I cook almost exclusively on the grill. I'd offer the grilled veggies as an olive branch though.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Mmm rotisserie bbq'd chicken in the summer is my favourite. Basting that sucker gives me so much pleasure cause I know that at the end, it's gonna be taste sensation. The sweet caramel goodness of the bbq sauce all over tendy juicy chicken. Can't beat it.

Well, not unless it's a big fat juicy steak cooked rare with new potatoes and a salad.

Hmmm. I'm hungry now.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a good thing you don't live next to me, this time of year I cook almost exclusively on the grill. I'd offer the grilled veggies as an olive branch though.
I'd take em!

I'm a vegetarian because I don't like how corporate farms raise the animals before they are slaughtered.

I grew up on a farm and I was HORRIFIED when I learned how huge farms were operated.

I'm not opposed to people eating meat, but I'm opposed to the cruelity the animals suffer before the become meat. Plus tons of meat is tossed out in the trash because of experation dates and then I think "Wow that cow died so it could be thrown away." and it makes me sad. If my grandma still raised chickens I'd eat those!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I love that smell. There's a lady on our street who barbeques all year round, and my husband always says he wishes our dinner smelled like that and then looks meaningfully at me like I should try to do better. I generally tell him that he's free to try but nobody ever does. We're too lazy to grill.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I'm with you, but heck I grill year round, Beef, chicken, fish, seafood, I love it all including the grilled veggies!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gaaah I want some SOOO BAD!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know lots of folks raise their own Chickens these days so they know just where they come;): I'm not helping am I!:)
Noooo you're not!!

Even if I found a person who had raised chickens I can't just dive into meat again. I get violently ill if I accidentaly have some. Its something about I'm now lacking certain enzines? That break down the meat?

I know that my mom tricked me and got eggrolls for me and her boyfriend and told me they were veggie eggrolls.....they were not and I was puking all day. :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
So do we, pretty much everyday. Anything that you can cook in the oven can be cooked on the grill. :) I mean anything!!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Us too! We grill all year round and our grills (Yep, two of 'em) have side burners for corn.......... among other things.

We make sure we have side burners in the event we lose power.

SU tends to cook everything on low, very low and we don't get to eat until 8 or later so I am taking over slowly. Before we know it he won't be doing a dang thing around the house! But at least we will eat earlier! LOL!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm waiting patiently for my parents to buy a gas bbq so i can have their current propane bbq.

It's the one thing my deck is missing =)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I feel your pain. The smell of summer grilling does make this former meat eater think about cheating a little.

The only thing I really, really miss is New England clam chowder, though. Mmmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
We have a propane line for our grill but we are just using a tank right now. It's pretty hot to grill, but I guess it beats using the oven.

We just bought a quarter of humanely raised, grass fed beef...I'd rather have humanely raised meat but no way am I giving it up. We do try to have to veggie only meal for dinner a week but I have to be subtle about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts