Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a period since Dec. 11th. Took Provera after 2 weeks and it lightened up to the point I thought I was done. Well, not to be. I have been picking up speed ever since and am currently waiting for a call from my Gynecologist. They want to try to work me in. Otherwise it's off the the ER with me. I am so freaking scared. I have never had it this bad. I fear the hysterectomy I so tried to avoid is looming in my very near future. And if that's not enough, DH's employer is hanging on to his business by the skin of his teeth and we could be unemployed at any time. So if this surgery is needed It needs to happen fast while we still have insurance. Why is it when it rains, it becomes a monsoon!!:mad: Anywho, wish me luck.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
No advice, but lots of good thoughts for you. I can only imagine how awful that must be - I'll stop feeling sorry for myself about mine right now!

You might consider finding out what the GYN has to say before you mention the insurance thing - but do mention it so that the discussion about options and timing can be completely honest. Good luck.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
May I ask why you think you'll need a hysterectomy? You've had issues before?

Grasping at straws here, but could this be a sign of menopause? One last shebang? :eek:

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Why are you taking Provera? That is what starts a period. Usually if you are on Provera to start a period, the period will be heavier and longer than normal. At least in my experience.

Edited; I just looked it up. I didn't realize it was used for both starting and stopping bleeding. That is interesting that the same drug does the opposite thing.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I talked to the Dr. and she is putting me on more Provera, and said that it's a real possibility that I will have to have the surgery. We discussed this last time this happened (2 years ago) and she was hoping I would make it through menopause without surgery. Oblation isn't an option in my case because of an enlarged uterus and some large fibroids. She thinks maybe it's because of the fibroids I'm having this problem. IF (when) I do have to have a hysterectomy it will be the traditional kind and not vaginally because of the large fibroids. Just my stinkin luck. Let's just make this as hard as possible. PLUS now I have to go half way across town for a blood draw because she thinks I'm probably anemic. Well duh, I'm sure of it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Just my opinion but the patients & friends that did end up having a hysterectomy really did feel so much better once they recovered from the surgery. Most say they didn't realize how bad they felt due to their low H&H, (blood count). Surgery is scary but if you need it....it will be better for you in the long run. I don't know if you were ,planning on becoming pregnant, but if you were not, I would listen to you OB/GYN.
Good luck. :)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am so sorry you are having this problem, but I can tell you that the traditional hysterectomy ain't that bad. I had it when I was 42, although they did leave one ovary to slow down menopause. There's the usual 4 - 6 weeks of taking it easy until you heal, but the freedom from periods and pain is great!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.