Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new Phishing scheme has developed where a spoof email, which resembles a winning bid notification, or a question/comment from seller notification from Ebay is sent to registered ebay users. In this email there are links that bring you to a sign-in that looks like ebay, but it is actually a kind of a ‘mirror’ site that collects your sign-in information, and allows the phisher (criminal) access to your account information. DO NOT CLICK ANY LINK IN THAT EMAIL. If you would like, you can forward the email to Ebay’s reporting service, but I’ve already forwarded mine and they are now aware of the new twist in the long-running scam.

If you get a winning bid notification or any communication from a seller for an item that you did not bid on, don’t click any links or buttons on the email, but open a browser page directly to ebay on your own and sign in. If the message came from ebay, it will also appear in your message folder in your actual account. This one is really scary, because it hits on the fear and confusion a person experiences when they think their account is already compromised, and the tendency is to click the ‘contact seller’ link directly from the email.

Stay Safe Online!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
new as in old?

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks I will let my husband know. He has been buying alot of stuff on e-bay recently.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New twist and execution on old 'game'. You'd know it if you saw the email.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts