Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Dee has been chewing the fur on her front and back leg. No sores, but it looks like someone has taken a pair of scissors and chopped out a little patch. Tonight I noticed that she's bitten it back almost to the skin. I'm puzzled as to why she is doing this. She has always been an itchy dog and as a pup had yeasty ears, but nothing major. (never had fleas) These do NOT appear to be hotspots and she's never had a hotspot. The actual skin seems okay. Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Sounds like a food allergy. Does the food you give have corn or wheat in the top ingredients? If so, you may want to look at something that is free of those ingredients.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I experienced this with my dog and mostly on her legs and the rear seemed to be most prominant. She has hypothyroidism. She was also prone to yeasty ears. Food allergies are rare. I would test her.
Be aware your vet may first go the food allergy route as well but why guess when you can test for them and you can test for cushings, thyroid, etc and rule them out first.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
It could also be an environmental allergy. Aly is very allergic to grass. ::)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sloigo - She's been on the same food for well over a year, so I kind of doubt it's the food. I'm trying to think if I have introduced anything new to her diet, but not really.

Cinderbaylabs - I never thought of a thyroid problem, but it's easy enough to get it checked. Her ears are fine now. I really had to stay on top of the yeasty issue for the first year...and then they got better. I check them regularly and use a cleaner occasionally, but no real problems for at least 18 months now. (She's not three yet) The one thing she has been since day one is "itchy," however she has never had any skin problems....just seems to scratch a lot. Even now the skin itself looks okay...and the fur is thick in these spots. It's just extremely short where she has snipped it off with her teeth, but I worry she's going to start on the skin next now that fur is so short. :-\ Did your dog have any other symptoms with the thyroid problem? Thanks.

Momma to J and A - Well it is Spring so it's possible.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kiddsmom - Well she isn't on the same food that she was on as a pup.....the time when her ears were yeasty. In fact the food she was on originally had no grains whatsoever, so I don't think there is connection with the earlier ear problem and the food. She hasn't had any problem with her ears since she's been on her current food.....well over a year.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Top Of The Hill said:
Sloigo - She's been on the same food for well over a year, so I kind of doubt it's the food. I'm trying to think if I have introduced anything new to her diet, but not really.

Cinderbaylabs - I never thought of a thyroid problem, but it's easy enough to get it checked. Her ears are fine now. I really had to stay on top of the yeasty issue for the first year...and then they got better. I check them regularly and use a cleaner occasionally, but no real problems for at least 18 months now. (She's not three yet) The one thing she has been since day one is "itchy," however she has never had any skin problems....just seems to scratch a lot. Even now the skin itself looks okay...and the fur is thick in these spots. It's just extremely short where she has snipped it off with her teeth, but I worry she's going to start on the skin next now that fur is so short. :-\ Did your dog have any other symptoms with the thyroid problem? Thanks.

Momma to J and A - Well it is Spring so it's possible.
She really had no other problems and for that reason we never got into the thyroid testing. Because she never had some of the bigger symptoms that you normally see like weight gain. But her list of heath problems is as long as my arm and took us 5 years to find the thyroidism. I cannot stress enough if your going to test, to do a FULL thyroid panel! Because there are some that get skipped. I have heard of vets just running one type of test and having it come back normal. I think this is what happend years ago when our old vet tested her. You want T3, T4, TSH and TgAA.

Mainly she suffered from yeasty ears since she was under a year. And she itched. So much that it would drive me insane! My old vet was only treating the individual symptoms and not finding the answers. My new vet did. It took us a while and thought we had her stable just being on prednisone for treating her autoimmune issues. Again not thinking to retest for Thyroid though we did test for cushings. Then one day she started getting thin. FAST! Which is SO NOT a symptom of hypothyroidism. So that was what made us not even want to test her for it. But we did it anyway and low and behold even the vet was shocked it came back that way.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cinderbaylabs - Thanks for the info re the thyroid test. Her weight is perfect and she's in really good shape...healthy coat etc. I didn't think much of the scratching until she started nipping little chunks of fur off....that's just recent. She's never had a skin problem....still doesn't really. Oh actually she does occasionally get a little irritation between her paw pads. She hasn't had that for awhile, so I forgot to mention it.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Over the years from time to time we have had that paw irritation as well.
When Cinder chewed her fur down it was like someone took grooming shears and trimmed her back legs up. That was the start of knowing something was really wrong.
The weight loss thing was a freak thing because it is not typical of hypothyroidism. Of course leave it to MY dog to not be the typical one. ;)

I hope you get some answers and Dee finds some comfort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts