Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks! Right now we have enough donations to keep the forum up and running for the next 4 months. 32 members have donated. Any suggestions?

Daniel

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Does that include income from the ads?

I think most are concerned about how much the forum has been down lately. (not just when you were on vacation, but in general). What is the deal with that? What type server are we on, etc?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Frankly I do not know why the forum freezes up. I have spent numerous hours trying to pinpoint the problem and have tried making adjustments on a daily basis by contacting our host (Hostgator) to investigate. The only thing I know how to do at this point is reboot the server (just like when your computer freezes at home.) Today I emptied out all logs, error reports, cached files in an effort to start over.

We are on a dedicated server (albeit the bottom-of-the-line server) which runs $174/month. I have upgraded to 2 GB of RAM to try to improve performance which does seem to have helped with speed. Ad revenue raises in the area of $3-5 per day which goes towards my personal Broadband expenses through Road Runner.

I've lost most of my patience with the server as well - I'm working on a possible alternative forum today which would mean everyone having to reregister again. I'll keep you updated.

If anyone is willing to donate server space or is interested in helping me to set up alternative solutions PLEASE contact me. Right now I'm on vacation, but during regular hours I only have about 1-2 hours per week to maintain JL.

Thanks for everyone who has supported the forum.

Daniel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried Siteground, Hostgator, and Lunarpages. I've tried shared, semi-dedicated, and dedicated. All seem to end up at the same place - server crashing. I purchased a vBulletin license today. If I can get it up and running we'll vote on switching to that software. If that software fails I'm not sure what else we can do.

Daniel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's more complicated than just switching servers. I specifically know 2-3 huge SMF forums running on Hostgator that do not have problems. I will start with a fresh Vbulletin and see how that runs. The WHOIS doesn't identify where servers are hosted, only domains.

Daniel

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK thanks, they are hosted at Hosthead not ENOM though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regarding hosting options - I am a firm believer in 'you pay for what you get.' Hostgator offers better support and where you can actually reach a human online or via phone.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does look like the hardware is better - not sure about the support. I see they like you to use an "Assisted Service Plan" which I think is generally the same support I am receiving at Hostgator - that costs extra. I am definitely open to switching servers again if you all don't mind going through the transition again.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
buddysmom said:
Wherever thou goest, I will go.....
Me too!
Daniel--the new server doesn't have the donate button. So you want us to continue to donate here?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts