Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had rain here for days now and the dogs were getting antsy from being trapped in the house. So we played "FIND THE COOKIES!". Made them stay in the other room or on the deck as we hid several pieces of cookie around the livingroom. Let them in and yelled FIND THE COOKIES! They were so excited to play, and they seem so proud of themselves when they find one that was hidden really well. Lastnight we used pieces of their kibble. They really love this game and it makes them think, which aids in tiring them out.
:)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I have HK sit in the kitchen when I hide the treat we use for this purpose in multiple rooms on the house. She knows where I keep this special treat and if I go to get it, she runs to the kitchen, sits, and is almost bouncing in that position waiting for the release.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have HK sit in the kitchen when I hide the treat we use for this purpose in multiple rooms on the house. She knows where I keep this special treat and if I go to get it, she runs to the kitchen, sits, and is almost bouncing in that position waiting for the release.
That's the plan eventually, Ed, to hide throughout the whole house. We want them to get used to it in one room first.
:)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Otis would never find anything. His sniffer's not so good. If he, or someone else, drops something on the floor, we'll smack our foot right next to it "Otis, over here" stomp, stomp, stomp. He'll sniff all around the floor, except by your foot. Goofball. =)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awwwwww, Otie! :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Poor Otis! A defective nose :>(

All those opportunities for treats you are missing.

I am not a hunter, but HKs nose amazes me. I can have a friend occupy HK to look away from me, chuck a tennis ball into tall grass maybe 25 yards away. And then call HK, point in the direction, and say 'Ball!'. She is unbelievable in the pattern she sets up and finds the ball.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Isn't it neat to watch them "work" the yard looking for the ball? Thunder is the same way and he won't give up until he find its either.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We did this yesterday too Amy! Seems like we'll be doing the same again tonight, although it looks like we'll finally see blue skies again tomorrow :)

Jake has a "star toy" that he knows we play hide and seek with, so he gets all revved up when I gt it out. His reward is a quick tug of war once he finds the toy and brings it back to me. I like this game too when I'm too tired to go for a run with him lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts