Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I recently just joined this site and I have my first question.

Even before my husband and I got our first lab, we both did a ton of research on the breed, but for the life of me, I can't remember the information on this particular topic.

Can anyone tell me what the usual age is when labs are full grown? If I remember correctly, I think it's usually around two, but I'm not sure. My chocolate lab Kona, is 14 months old and I'm hoping she has a little more growing to do. But even if she doesn't, I'll love her just as much!

I'd appreciate any input you may have.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
hi! Welcome to the forum! :D

I think in general most Labs are considered fully grown by the age of two. Abbey is about a year and a half and she hasn't grown height- or weight-wise at all in the last few months, so I think there is some variation there.

I'm sure there are others that will chime in, too. :happy:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi kal3idoscope!

Thank you for your response. I thought it probably was around two, but I do know it varies with every dog. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Milly's weight has stayed the same for the last 3 months. 26.5kgs..... I feel that she is still shorter than alot of labs out there so maybe she'll get a bit taller still. She is after all only 1.... Most labs we see at the dog park are 2 or over and they all appear to be around a similar size no matter the age differences.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
in terms of physical stuff, your dog reaches it's full height by 8 months to 12 months. They continue to develop muscularly and weight wise through 18 months to 2 years...generally. Mentally, many never develop fully out of puppy hood. ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Dani said:
in terms of physical stuff, your dog reaches it's full height by 8 months to 12 months. They continue to develop muscularly and weight wise through 18 months to 2 years...generally. Mentally, many never develop fully out of puppy hood. ;)
Agree with Dani.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Yep, what Dani said. It differs for different breeds (obviously!) but what Dani said generally holds true for most Labs. They do a large bulk of their growing in first 6 months especially, which is why dogs tend to look all gangly at that age.

T

·
0 Posts
Gene said:
Dani said:
Agree with Dani.
ditto!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Dani nailed it in general terms. HK was pretty much done growing (height) at a year. She developed muscularly over the next 6 months. She is definitely on the petite end of the spectrum of Labs. If you look at her birthday thread, and then go to her first year website at the bottom of the opening post, you will see Newman. Our son's yellow lab. He has to be the tallest lab I have met to date.

All that said, some of the dogs from breeders on JL are much broader and more muscular than either of these two. I suspect their development muscularly extended the two years and more. Just more mass that had to be put together.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Endofile said:
Dani nailed it in general terms. HK was pretty much done growing (height) at a year. She developed muscularly over the next 6 months. She is definitely on the petite end of the spectrum of Labs. If you look at her birthday thread, and then go to her first year website at the bottom of the opening post, you will see Newman. Our son's yellow lab. He has to be the tallest lab I have met to date.

All that said, some of the dogs from breeders on JL are much broader and more muscular than either of these two. I suspect their development muscularly extended the two years and more. Just more mass that had to be put together.
Yup. We got Champ just after he turned two a little over a year ago, but he has filled out a bit since then, broader in the chest and shoulders, not so gangly. Buddy, a year younger, is as filled out as he's going to get at two years old.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Both my girls gained an inch between 12-14 months. But muscularly my Lily started to look her best at 3.5 years old. She is now approaching 4 yrs.
My male mature height around 14 months and he continued to fill out until over 4 years of age though we had him neutered at 3.
My soon to be 2 year old girl (who grew that last inch in 12-14) is pretty filled out at this age. So what the coming year will bring will be interesting.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Dani said:
many never develop fully out of puppy hood. ;)
In that sense they are kind of like men....they never really grow up. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just kidding, both of my girls reached their height by around 1 year. They did fill out a little more and haven't changed
much since they turned 2ish.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to my question. All of your responses have definitely helped me try to remember what I should have already known (Remember, I do have Roxy, my 5 five year old lab).

With the wonderful information you have provided me, I think Kona most likely has reached her height, not as tall as Roxy, but I do think she has more bulking up to do. I still have another 10 months before she turns 2, so it will be interesting to see where she is at in her size then.

Thanks again!

P.S. I promise to post pics of my girls soon!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts