Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the world of my vet clinic, really I do. I trust them, I like them. But I am furious with them right now!

First, I thought it was taking a bit too long to hear the path lab results from Toby's tumor which was removed last Wednesday. On Monday, we were told that it "often takes a week" but results should be in soon. Today, the vet phoned to say that she's terribly embarassed but somehow the sample never got sent but has been sitting in formaldehyde at the clinic for the past week! It has now been sent off to the lab expeditied so the results should be back before he gets his sutures out on Saturday. And we "won't have to pay for the analysis". Problem is, I think we already did, which means they'll have to give us a credit with the office.

Mark spoke to her, which is probably a good thing as I'm already in a bad mood today for unrelated reasons, and I'd probably not have been very diplomatic in my response.

She assured him the sample integrity wouldn't be compromised as it was preserved. But I'm left wondering how much confidence we should have about that... or that it's even the right sample?!? If they forgot to send it, it's pretty reasonable to think they might have mixed it up, no? Like it hasn't been tough enough with everything else that was going on, plus the stress of the surgery, the anxiety associated with waiting on an answer, now this! I'm so mad I can hardly see straight!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
There is nothing to be said. You are right to be upset, and justified with your concerns.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
OH MAN! Well, I can definitely see your point of view for sure, and I'd be upset too. I think the vet would have to call me and do a lot of reassuring about how he was SURE this was the right sample, because: xyz. Can you call your vet (maybe tomorrow, when you've slept on it overnight) and just express your concerns? He/she might be able to make you feel more confident.

This is so stressful - I'm so sorry! You did not need this on top of everything else...

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
At my clinic, everything is labeled IMMEDIATELY.. and the other clinics I've worked at are the same. A lot of times samples can get put in the fridge and with vaccines, etc, I can see how something could have easily been hiding behind something else.. but that said, we have never lost or forgotten a sample!

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I can understand you being annoyed. I think anyone would. I guess things do get behind other things, but I would have thought in a situation like this there would be a special box or something, so these samples are of the upmost importance. Yes all samples are important, but this is a stressful time.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
BUMMER! I don't blame you for being VERY annoyed and upset.

It does seem like their procedures are sloppy and inadequate; if a mistake like this does NOT lead to a wholesale evaluation and revision of their procedures, they're not being adequately professional. If they keep the same procedures and instead rely on sincere-sounding apologies, they're definitely NOT professional enough.

(Hint: you might ask what they're doing to avoid this happening in the future. If you get blank stares, stammering, questions about what do you mean, etc., that's a VERY bad sign for continuing to use this service.)

IMO, you need to chalk up a mark for "Strike One!" (or maybe "2" if there've been other missteps).

If, over the next couple years, you have no other complaint, erase it.

But IF over the next couple years you accumulate more, it's time to look for other resources and services.

I went through something similar to this with my first Lab, Bess.

I was deceived for a long time about the adequacy of the diagnosis and treatment by the warm greetings of Bess by the vet and the office staff whenever we went in. But, when too many red flags were flying, I went to KSU-CollVetMed (fortunately only 60 miles away) and have never regretted it..

Thanks to Bess's experiences, Puff gets all her vet care there.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I think you are totally justified in being beyond upset. Let's hope & pray the sample is the correct one and that it hasn't been compromised.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob and Connie, you're both right. This is "strike one" maybe one-and-a-half (there was another lab result for one of our kitties that got run on time but the results - fortunately negative as it turned out - communicated late). I deliberately did NOT call today, as I was upset, Mark had already spoken with them, and there was little point in causing everyone more stress since there was nothing further I can do at this point.

I checked the records and I know what credit we are owed. I'm sure they'll make good.

In their favor, the vet phoned Mark to communicate their mistake and her embarrassment rather than wait for us to phone them... again.

I see little value in calling to harrass them at this point. But I'll be the one taking Toby in on Saturday morning for suture removal and I will be sure to express ALL of my concerns and disappointments at that point.

I really do think we've got one of the best vets in the ccity, in a large city witha lot of excellent vets. But I will also mention that this is the sort of mistake over which one changes practices. I will not take a vague apology as a full answer.

Of course, it didn't help that today the card from the vet expressing sympathy (and signed by everyone in the office) and a research donation in Sherman's memory arrived in the mail. and made me cry reading it...

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and to be completely politically incorrect - and not to denigrate the experience of some members here recently - this is a tumor! Not an infected nail, or something else probably fairly routine. Sure, it may turn out to be benign, but the needle aspirate indicated some variety of round cell tumor, many of which can be nasty. Good margins or not, this is not something you f*** around with, it's a goddamn tumor and everyone wants to know what it really is/was and what the margins looked like!

OK, deep breath...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
very frustrating and upsetting
Ask if there was any chance it was the wrong sample if you are worried about it - like justine I have only worked at clinics where samples are labelled instantly though so suspect that's pretty common practice

I never mind a credit on my account - I always know I'll use it eventually :)

and a total aside - Bob - as soon as I saw your response I wondered how you were going to work in your advice to go the university vet :D thanks for showing me ;)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh no...the card coming today didn't help either.

I feel very sure that if you think you have one of the best vets in the city, you do. And I do think it is a favorable sign that the vet called you first.

I've been aggravated with my vet a little this past year, as I'm sure you've read/noticed, but like you I still feel that they are one of the best. Even on the tightest-run ship, mistakes can sometimes happen. I just hate that it happened to you, and with something so serious.

Try to rest well tonight...I bet tomorrow things will seem more clear. Hugs to you!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts