Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gabby got permission for a short outing this weekend- 30 minutes or so at the dog park- to see how she handled it.

I took her and met SU's aunt and cousin there. SU's cousin has the sweetest Dane ever, and SU's aunt has the most darling Rottie mix named Annie.

Well, there was kind of a weird guy when we got there. Our dog park is not great about enforcing rules- they have rules saying you have to have the dog park member tag on at all times, must be a member to go in, etc- but there are lots of people that violate it. This guy had a Scottie/Mini Schnauzer mix that was playing great with Annie and Gabby and a Chow/Akita mix named Molly.

Molly went after Annie while Annie was playing with the Scottie mix. SU's aunt said something to the owner and he waived it off as Molly was protective of the little dog. Annie (the rottie) held her own and Molly left her alone for a while. Molly also attacked a lab/bloodhound mix named Milo while we were there.

Then, later, Molly attacked this dog named Stoli. Stoli is a six month old daschund/lab mix that weighs about fifteen pounds. I was the closest one there- and the owner didn't even do anything!

I grabbed Molly by the scruff of her neck (God- was that stupid!), hauled her off, held her up with her front feet in the air until her owner got off his ass and came and got her and then told her owner to leave. He then goes "yeah, temporarily" and leashes Molly and sits down and watches Bandit play.

UMMM EXCUSE ME?

We just took over the small dog park.

I emailed the dog park president- and got a reply that "Molly wasn't very social." Give me a break, if your dog is not social, do not take it to the dog park.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Dude that sucks! I had a bad experience at my dog park the other day as well. Maybe when I get back to St. Louis you and I can go to a different dog park lol. I am quickly finding that some people can't obey the rules at dog parks.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luke's cousin just found a new one- I think we may be in luck :)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
It's owners like that (and owners of unsocialized or poorly socialized dogs) that prevent me from taking Henry to the dog park. We've had nothing but bad experiences, so I won't take him anymore.

Sorry that happened to you! What a jerk!!

I hope all of the other dogs are okay!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
henrysmom said:
It's owners like that (and owners of unsocialized or poorly socialized dogs) that prevent me from taking Henry to the dog park. We've had nothing but bad experiences, so I won't take him anymore.
Yeah, I've really been toying with just setting up play dates at weird off hours when no one is there (I don't have a fenced yard). Her hips are having problems with large group play and a lot of the owners are jackasses with poorly socialized dogs.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Yeah, I've really been toying with just setting up play dates at weird off hours when no one is there (I don't have a fenced yard). Her hips are having problems with large group play and a lot of the owners are jackasses with poorly socialized dogs.
That's not a bad idea!! Our rear neighbour takes his husky and says that our dog parks tend to get super busy after dinner during the week and pretty much anytime on the weekends. If you could go early in the morning maybe?

It sucks that a few jerky owners ruin it for everyone else.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I am lucky to have a dog park that was voted Number 1 in the country last year by Dog Fancy Magazine. I take the boys out every Saturday and Sunday rain or shine and in two years I have not witnessed a serious problem. This park is fairly remote so I imagine only responsible dog owners are willing to drive the distance.
The main problem with most dog parks is the small size. That, together with irresponsible owners, will almost always lead to trouble. Our park is 15 acres and includes two swimming ponds. The small dog area is 3 acres and also has a swimming hole. We are just about ready to open a new park that will be 35 acres and have all the amenities of the first one plus agility equipment.
On good days I have counted over 80 dogs in the park but they are spread out. I never allow my boys to play with more than one dog at a time. If a pack is allowed to develop then it can accelerate into a fight for dominance.
I have observed some really stupid behavior by people like the time a woman sat on a bench and laid out her hamburger lunch. Needless to say she did not have a quiet lunch. ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts