Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is actually about my golden, Brooklyn, but I know several of you have labragoats out there and I was wondering if you had any ideas.

Brooklyn has been obsessed with eating grass and dirt and stick since she was a puppy. Since we fenced in the yard this has ramped up in intensity. Not only is she ruining the yard and wrecking our forsythia bushes, but she is consuming so much she is pooping 4 to 5 times a day. Now, I truly get the feeling that this helps keep her regular, but now it is spinning out of control. She ate so much yesterday that she got me up an hour early (which she never does...she's a snoozer) to poop, pooped again after breakfast, I just came home from lunch and she had pooped in the house and then pooped again after lunch!

Now I tried to pull her out of the bushes at lunch and after several attempts she turned to me and not hard, but she did "correct" me with her mouth. You could tell she was mortified the moment she did it (I gasped "Brooklyn!!") and she immediately stopped and sat looking at me.

I just don't know what to do. She's eating Solid Gold Wolf King (bison and fish based) and I don't know if there is something I can supplement her diet with that may help? I can't not let her out in the yard and I can't follow her everywhere, but I need this to stop.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Welcome in the wondering world of the: "Labrador Retriever" :D

Its seems they always see: "food" in evrything they could get their mouth on or over ...

But, eating grass isnt the worst thing for a dog, the dont use up the grass, and as you maybe already have noticed, as it go in, it comes out as grass (only in a different color :D )

And there are nog supplements wich you could use, to stop this behaviour ...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
If she's eating that much I think I'd talk to my vet.
Zeus is a grazer but nothing like that he just likes to eat the new grass.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd get her some sticks that are hers to eat.

My Max still likes to chew on sticks and if I don't have enough fallen ones from mine, I'll scavenge from the neighbors.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Can you tie her out (for potty breaks only) until you can break her of what appears to be an obsession?

If my dog "corrected" me he'd be orbiting Mars.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Buy a leather or wire caged muzzle and make her wear it when she's outside unsupervised.

It's not cruel.

Friends of mine have a Basset Hound that is a rock eater. The muzzle is a must now. He's had five surgeries to remove rocks from his intestines. The muzzle has stopped him from being able to eat the rocks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
OMG! Maggie is a stinkin' goat these days. :eek: I thought she was the only one. She did the same thing this time last year when the grass was so nice and green and lush. (well, at least some of us have nice green grass:)) She is nutso! I do believe that it is just something that she does every year. It didn't seem to bother her last year and I don't think it will bother her this year either. I don't notice the poop problem as we are on too much acreage for it to bother me.

Good luck with the sticks though! Maybe try giving her a kong or a braided toy.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I've heard of using muzzles for things like that.. and for poop-eaters, too!

I would just have her checked by a vet, just in case, because sometimes dogs eat grass when they don't feel that great, mostly because of stomach issues.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Labs love to eat. Clarence is our poop/grass eater. Shane will eat grass and every piece of rabbit poop he can find, he loves it! I'm just glad they don't eat rocks!:)

Oops .. forgot to mention both my labs love birdseed.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
If you find a solution let me know. I have never been able to solve the problem with Misha. She loves to eat grass and sticks, she breaks and eats her toys... You can´t imagine the things I´ve picked up when she poops. Fortunately nothing has gotten stuck inside her

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Hmmm they say when an animal eats grass its because they feel a bit sicky..Brooklyns does sound like an obesession though. Arent goldens notorious for having obsessions about things? Maybe i dreamt that though but am sure i read it somewhere.

Only thing I can think of is sound adversion training maybe? You can get air horns and sort of watch her then sound the horn when she goes for stick etc worked on our collie with his fence eating obession. E-Collar is maybe another thing, or the muzzle. Im kind of worried about the twig eating what if a bit got stuck?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
HK is a grass eater and stick eater. She got quite a bit better at listening to 'Leave It' towards the end of last summer. I never said that out loud for fear of jinxing it. Well, I can say it now. No jinxing necessary. She is back at any new growth or trig beginning to swell with new nutrients. I can't keep her off the stuff unless I have a lead or e-collar on her. I am beginning to think there is something they like in the new growth and there is a drive inside her to eat it.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmm they say when an animal eats grass its because they feel a bit sicky..Brooklyns does sound like an obesession though. Arent goldens notorious for having obsessions about things? Maybe i dreamt that though but am sure i read it somewhere.

Only thing I can think of is sound adversion training maybe? You can get air horns and sort of watch her then sound the horn when she goes for stick etc worked on our collie with his fence eating obession. E-Collar is maybe another thing, or the muzzle. Im kind of worried about the twig eating what if a bit got stuck?
OooOOooo...air horn...she would jump out of her fur!!

We've changed their food this week to Nature's Variety Prairie and I've started adding some green beans to her food...we'll see if that helps her desire for "greens". If not...we are going to have to try some aversion training. Sigh...

·
Registered
10,257 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I am glad I am not the only one! Although...Tucker doesn't snack on the grass as much as MULCH...it is SO gross...my t/h association mulched a few days ago and I can't keep Tucker out of it...it is SO annoying!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts