Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are on day 5 since Remy's spay. We've been doing well keeping him calm. Keeping him and Brooklyn separated. Taking him out to eliminate on leash. We have pain meds that I'm giving him at dinner which seem to take the edge off for the evening. He's mainly curled up on his dog bed nursing Fox. But after spending most of the day while we're at work in his crate and then dozing the evening away...

He's getting up at 4 a.m. :tired: Tuesday hubby got up and took him out to see if he had to pee...and he did. Wednesday I got up with him and he did nothing outside, but was up and raring to play. So last night we made sure he peed and pooped before bed and were determined to let him cry it out til we got up at 6:30.

And he did. For 2 1/2 hours. :( And when hubby got down there this a.m.? He had peed in his crate. :'( I felt so bad for him. (Oh gawd it stinks!) So I don't know what to do. Try to see how he does without the medicine? Withhold water? Just get up at 4? I'm exhausted and can't even think straight here at the office.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Not a vet, maybe one needs to be asked. But I think that guy has figured out he has the advantage right now and is making the most of it. After 5 days, the op should be history other than getting the stitches out if not the dissolving kind.

I am sure it not fun for you, maybe you guys need to go to bed earlier so you are ready to get up at 4. ;) ;)

Okay, I know its not funny. I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I never gave Bear any pain meds after day 1. He was acting like nothing happened by day 2. If it was me, I would stop the pain meds and maybe engage in some mental stimulation or some simple training stuff, sit, shake, look etc., or take him for a walk. My guess would be that #1 he is not emptying his bladder completely on leash, Bear will walk around the yard and pee a few times.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stitches are the dissolving kind. They told us to keep him calm for 14 days.

He hasn't shown any signs of being in pain...so maybe I should forego the pain meds and see how he does...

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
My dogs didn't have any pain meds only antibiotics when they came home and never really acted like they needed any after day two. I doubt he needs them anymore. Is he on prednisone? It will make him pee more if he is. I know our dogs were not calm for 14 days more like 5-6 maybe we just tried to keep them from jumping and made sure to keep them dry and keep an eye on the surgery site.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
14 days seems so long (although I don't have to tell you that). Bauer took pain meds for 2 days, and was fine. By 5 days after, I was taking him for walks. I didn't let him run or jump, and kept him dry . . . but things were relatively back to normal. Our vet told us to keep him calm for a few days, but told us to just keep checking the incision. He said that as long as it wasn't red, swollen or irritated that he could walk as much as he wanted.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Tbh Alfie was fine the next day after his operation, he went back to the vet on day 3 and had his stitch out and the vet told me he would be ok for his normal walks so thats what I did. Sounds like Remy has a lot of pentup energy atm and IMO I dont think a gentle run around the park would do him any harm, Alfie wasnt even sent home with pain meds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
J R didn't have any pain meds and after the first evening, didn't act like anything happened. Do any of the meds have any cortisone or are you using it topically? Some dogs are really sensitive to that.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'd cut the meds, Baloo didn't get any after his neuter and he was totally fine, although I sometimes think he's so impervious to pain that his leg could be amputated and it wouldn't give him pause for more than 2 seconds. :hurt:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Seems like a long time after a neuter to be having issues. I had several foster dogs that got neutered while in my care. It was impossible to keep them quiet after the first day most of the time! By the third day, you couldn't even tell that they had even had surgery.

Maybe it is the pain meds (as other posters have suggested).

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like it was the meds. I re-read the insert and it does cause increased need to urinate. So we gave it to him right before bed instead of with dinner and slept til 8 a.m.! Woo hoo!!! And now we're done with the meds altogether so hopefully he should go back to his normal routine. And we can get some sleep. ;)

He's actually been doing really well with the staying calm. We've been joking that they switched dogs with us at the vet...the quiet one's name is Roscoe. He's snuggly. :D

·
Registered
786 Posts
glad things are getting back to normal...It has been a while since I had my male neutered but if I remember right we were back walking the next week. And we only did pain meds for one day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glad he's doing better. Both of my guys had pretty much no problems after the anesthesia wore off. THey probably had pain meds one day, but on day 2 the biggest problem was keeping them from jumping on the furniture. We put a cone on them because they'd bother the stitches, but I HAD to walk them around the block by day 3 because they would have literally been bouncing off the walls. Sounds like the meds may have been the problem.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
We were told 10 days for Milly with the spay. And when her stitches were out she was at the dog park the very next day... Day 11. And it was ok'd by the vet. Boy did she need dog park day on Day 11... she was wound tighter than a spring!!

Oh and we gave her no pain meds. I think it was good.... the first 4 days she did hardly anything, and I think it was because she was in discomfort. I think if she'd had meds then she wouldnt have been so cautious and would have been trying to run around and it would have been worse. At least for us, we got to day 5 without her being demanding for attention and exercise... then we had to endure 5 days of irritable, under exercised puppy!!!!

When do they expect the stitches to dissolve?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts