Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice that so many here use frontline plus..is there a reason why you chose this instead of K9 Advantix? My vet only sells the Advantix so that is what I bought and plan to use on Lily. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something before I apply it to her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
colby said:
I notice that so many here use frontline plus..is there a reason why you chose this instead of K9 Advantix? My vet only sells the Advantix so that is what I bought and plan to use on Lily. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something before I apply it to her.
k 9 advantix isn't an option for us as we have cats, it's toxic to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
I am curious to see the answers for this.

Lexi was on K9 Advantix, but at her annual check-up this week, they gave us Frontline. I called the office the next morning to ask about why the switch and the receptionist said it was likely just a mistake on their part. I point-blank asked if there was a difference in their effectiveness, etc. and was told there is not.

I thought perhaps they were only carrying Frontline now, but I should think they'd have told me that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
We use frontline plus because we have cats and like stated above, Advantix is toxic to cats. But if we didn't, I think Advantix sounds better to me. I think it is effective against mosquitoes too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
868 Posts
Is it toxic to the cats to use it on the dogs? I am assuming that you have house cats and are not using Advantix on the dogs because they live in the same area. Or is it that you buy Frontline and use it for everyone and it is just more convenient to use one product? I was thinking of switching to Advantix because the ads say it also repels mosquitoes, but certainly do not want to endanger my cat. My cat is a barn cat which the dogs seldom come in contact with. The dogs do go to the barn with me, but the cat never has physical contact with them. My only regret about my JRT; she is not good with cats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,829 Posts
I've only used k9 advantix and been happy with it. My dogs are in the water 2-3 times a week and field train at least that. We also do our agility training in the most mosquito ridden park on earth! I have no idea what my vet carries...I shop around online and buy that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
ownlabnjrt said:
Is it toxic to the cats to use it on the dogs? I am assuming that you have house cats and are not using Advantix on the dogs because they live in the same area.
Right, our two cats live inside and they come in contact with each other all the time. The chemical in it is toxic to cats so even though it is on the dog, not the cats, they could rub on it or whatever. Advantix specifically warns about cats, so I don't want to take any chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,287 Posts
rayofsun said:
ownlabnjrt said:
Is it toxic to the cats to use it on the dogs? I am assuming that you have house cats and are not using Advantix on the dogs because they live in the same area.
Right, our two cats live inside and they come in contact with each other all the time. The chemical in it is toxic to cats so even though it is on the dog, not the cats, they could rub on it or whatever. Advantix specifically warns about cats, so I don't want to take any chances.
Me too! :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Same here about the cats. Especially since my orange cat actually snuggles and plays with the dogs and all of them come in close contact with one another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
As a complete aside - I have to say I'd go w/ K9 Advantix - only because of the adorable little yellow lab puppy commercials :p

**** singing **** Hello modder, Hello fadder
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
703 Posts
I have used both. I prefer k9 advatix for ticks, but frontline plus for fleas. I now use frontline plus because my dog did get fleas on k9 advantix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,824 Posts
clanceycanuck said:
As a complete aside - I have to say I'd go w/ K9 Advantix - only because of the adorable little yellow lab puppy commercials :p

**** singing **** Hello modder, Hello fadder
OMG, Brenda... I love that commercial! That little yellow pup is so freaking adorable.

***sings*** there ain't no bugs on me, there ain't no bugs on me, there might be bugs on some my mugs, but there ain't no bugs on me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,664 Posts
This could be a total coincidence, but during the three month period Sundance was recently on Frontline, he seemed itchier. I switched him back to Advantix (we don't have cats) and he's a lot less itchy.

And yeah, I love the little yellow guy commercials
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
We have had a really bad time with fleas this year, and Dixie is allergic to them. I have always used Frontline, but the last two times I applied it, there were still fleas. Poor thing was going nuts. I took her for her yearly on Monday and our vet suggested we try the Advantix. We applied it that night and she is 100% better. I have not seen any fleas, and her itchies have gone away almost completely. We will probably stick with the Advantix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,688 Posts
I have noticed a lot mentioning Frontline too.
We started Bailey on Frontline Plus last year, but switched to K9 Advantix after I was reading more about it & it also protects against mosquito; which I LOVE!! No issues here on either one though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ahhhhh I didn't realize about the cat thing...no kitties here so no worries about that :) I have to say that little yellow lab just melts me too........when that little guy starts singing "there might be bugs on some of you mugs, but there ain't no bugs on me" I just sit there grinning like an idiot ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
922 Posts
I usually use Frontline Plus on the dogs, mainly because I have a cat (although she has very limited contact with the dogs). However, last year I had a flea problem and had to switch to Advantix for the summer. This year I have already had a flea problem while on Frontline and have recently switched to Advantix, and the fleas have disappeared. I do like the Advantix better, mainly because it repels ticks, but keeping the dogs away from the cat for a day or so is a pain. I guess I'll just have to deal with it, because I certainly can't live with fleas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,679 Posts
we're K9 Advantix users here...when abby was a pupster she had a bad skin reaction to the frontline plus so we switched and have been happy ever since.

In the summer both girls swim several times a week in the bay/ocean and are around plenty of ticks/mosquitoes. We still check but have never *knock wood* found any ticks.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top