Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market to buy one.

Does it clean?
Good brand?
Any Recommendations?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
our washer and dryer both died before the holidays. We really didn't want to spend the money on the front loader but then we decided to go for it. We bought the LG brand. LOVE THEM.
The washer wrings out so much more water than my old machine. That translates into less dryer time.
Our electric bill has seen a signifigant drop since replacing our machines.. we have well water so I can't say how it will affect your bill if you have city water.

I know Rosanne (BuddyBaileymom) just got new front loaders too.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Ooooh, I want them sooooo bad.

Molly - do they really wash a BIG LOAD? That's my issue. I want a machine that will help me do less loads of laundry.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I got one recently - a Bosch. It was rated as one of the best (underneat the Miele or the Asko and who can afford them??)

I love it because:

*it heats its own water
*it uses much less water even for a full load
*it has water level sensor so uses appropriate amounts of water for a small load
*I got a rebate from the local council for buying it
*it has a 15 minute cycle for when I need a uniform in a big hurry
*my dogs can watch it go around :D
*it has delay timer so I can set it to start washing before I get up in the morning or just before I get home from work (up to 24 hours)
*it has a digital readout of how much longer the cycle has before it finishes.
*it's really quiet!!!

Hows that? Nine reasons I love my Bosch front loader :)

Dammit I just thought of another one!
*it gets the clothes REALLY clean.

MLM they are like top loaders. The bigger the kg size the more you can fit in!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought the Frigidaire Affinity washer and dryer last August. Absolutely love them - clothes are cleaner, drying time is shorter, and both the washer and dryer are very quiet. The Affinity isn't one of the largest capacity washers though. Since you have a family you might want to look into the Duet (made by Whirlpool, I think) or maybe one of the large Kenmore models. My sister has two kids and loves her Kenmore H3, which she's had for a few years.

I don't have the pedastals that you can buy with a lot of the front loaders but they're a good idea.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
YES I bought the whirlpool duet (both the washer and dryer) which many people on this forum own and love them. I noticed a decrease in my water bill right away-- gas and hydro I'm on equal billing so I won't really notice until year end but they are both running on a credit already ). I love them so easy to use. I highly recommend them.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
We have a Maytag Neptune Front Loading Washer It came with
the house, At first I didn't like it because I was so used to the top
loading(I like to fill the water up first) But I'm used to it now.
It's very quite.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
BuddyandBailey said:
YES I bought the whirlpool duet (both the washer and dryer) which many people on this forum own and love them. I noticed a decrease in my water bill right away-- gas and hydro I'm on equal billing so I won't really notice until year end but they are both running on a credit already ). I love them so easy to use. I highly recommend them.
That is soooo cool to know!! (and good for a future pro arguement!)

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
blacklab said:
I got one recently - a Bosch. It was rated as one of the best (underneat the Miele or the Asko and who can afford them??)

I love it because:

*it heats its own water
*it uses much less water even for a full load
*it has water level sensor so uses appropriate amounts of water for a small load
*I got a rebate from the local council for buying it
*it has a 15 minute cycle for when I need a uniform in a big hurry
*my dogs can watch it go around :D
*it has delay timer so I can set it to start washing before I get up in the morning or just before I get home from work (up to 24 hours)
*it has a digital readout of how much longer the cycle has before it finishes.
*it's really quiet!!!

Hows that? Nine reasons I love my Bosch front loader :)

Dammit I just thought of another one!
*it gets the clothes REALLY clean.

MLM they are like top loaders. The bigger the kg size the more you can fit in!
How funny.... this is the one I am currently thinking I want. Before I came back and read your replies.... I found all kinds of great personal ratings on the Bosch. I also found a LAUNDRY forum... of all things. They say great things about the Bosch too.

Loren is researching the Whirlpool Duet. It was our neighbor that got us turned on to this when I borrowed her front loader to get a little extra laundry done. Hers is a Kenmore, but I am reading awful reviews on the Kenmore. If I am going to fork out $1200+ on a washer, that sucker better be good and last.

I can actually get a 5 year warranty on the Bosch for only $99 extra. You can't beat that!

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting..... Most of the Kenmores are made by Whirlpool. This would explain why the Kenmore and the Whirlpool are having trouble with the handles falling off.

I found this on the Laundry forum.

just some of my opnions and observations as a current BSH employee. We have been making these washers since 2004 and we have made several rounds of improvement... all of which have seriously reduced our service rate. The heater in the washer and higher water temps provide washing results that can be proven in a lab and in normal use and is not simply an attempt to reap more profit. There are plenty of posts on these boards testifying to the amazing wash results tht higher temps bring in any brand. In addition, to the best of my knowledge all Kenmores that compete with Bosch washers (in price, capacity, etc.) are made by Whirlpool, except for the 3.1 cu. ft. $599 piece with no heater which is now on clearance.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Melissa said:
I don't know that we'll fork over the money for a front loader, but I have this irrational fear of the seal leaking and it flooding my laundry room.
Me too!! We just bought a Maytag something or other-top load but without the thing in the middle (is that called the agitator-can you tell I'm not mechanically inclined). It gets delivered Friday.

J

·
0 Posts
We have the duet washer and dryer. With 4 kids I needed a BIG washing machine. I've had it for a little over 2 years. The best thing I ever bought.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I wanted a front loader, DH bought a water saving Fisher Pakel top loader. ::) It's good for what it is, but my Mom's front loading Maytag is so much better, and she can fit her comforters and stuff in it...guess what our next machine will be (once we move).

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANK YOU EVERYONE for your input here. This is what we decided on.

http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=25282

The Bosch.... Coming out of Chicago.... NO TAX. YIPPPEEEEE. $99 SHIPPING AND $99 4 YEAR WARRANTY.

If they have to service any one thing 3 times, they will automatically replace the machine.

I am seriously geeked out.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Well I have the Whirlpool/Kenmore front loader and HATE IT! Yes it does a great job wringing out the water, however, my clothes are so wrinkled and knotted up that even the dryer can't get the wrinkles out. I really HATE ironing jeans and t-shirts. :mad:

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
um I have heard front loaders save on water.

We had one years ago. It did a great job. No complaints here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts