Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back from the vet. We scheduled koda for an xray on wednesday. Vet isn't sure why the antibiotics didn't work so we're checking for viral and fungal infection.

And then halfway home it hit me! It can't be blockage, can it? She's crated.. I'd know if she ate something..OH ****!!! Remember my post about her destuffing her bed? I bet she swallowed some of the foam! Gah! The office is closed..don't know that this'll mean, but I'm afraid to find out.

Sigh

hmm.. now that i'm reading this agin.. she was reverse sneezing on occasion too.. would that be related?

crap.. i have no idea.. this sucks.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Poor baby!! I've always been so thankful that my labs don't eat up stuff they're not suppose too....except for Sam eating Lucky's collar.

Hope everything is okay with her!!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Oh Koda... just when your mama was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel! Hope it goes away quickly!!

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Kelli, when I saw your blog over the weekend I thought she might have reverse sneezing.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Tiller was doing that this weekend, turned out to be allergies or a dust irritant. He always sat with us by the fireplace and I think something about the fireplace bothered him. Just sharing my experience, could be quite a few other things too (I would guess).

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I'm sorry, Kelli. I hope it turns out to be nothing. Or at least something easily and cheaply fixed.

Kacey does that huffing through the nose thing that you mentioned on her blog Koda has been doing. She does it so rarely (only 2 or 3 times in the last year) and I had no idea how to even describe it to the vet to ever even call them about it. No way we could recreate it in their office.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
My bostons reverse sneeze all the time. Teddy never does, though. I'd be doubtful of a blockage if she's eating/drinking/pooping normally. IME if they've eaten something causing a blockage they are pretty sick. Or at least not wanting to eat and add to the disaster they've created in their stomachs!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm.. the vet thought allergy was possible.. if the xrays don't show anything, they're going to stuff a tube down her and look for something else.. honestly, i have no idea.. she does this hacking cough thing more than the reverse sneezing.. hack hack hack.. BIG GACK cough.. like she's got something stuck in her throat.. then she sits down and is fine..

I'm tryinig to get it on video..but she's not cooperating. =)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Kell - in case it is an allergy - call vet, ask if should treat for allergies for a time and see if that cures it - must cheaper and less invasive than x-rays or intubation. Hugs to both of you - hugs and prayers.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She suspects it's bronchial and hopes the xrays will show an infection there and if it does, we won't have to do the tube/camera thing..

the reason she thought maybe allergy is because koda's symptoms are fairly mild compared to what she's seen before.. my problem is.. she makes the same noises when she pulls on her leash.. you don't dogs who pull hard and gag.. that's the noise.. so it's quite misleading to the layman as to what the hell is going on.

gah

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I realize i forgot the bronchial thought in my post yesterday.. it's amazing what you forget between the clinic and home.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
she does this hacking cough thing more than the reverse sneezing.. hack hack hack.. BIG GACK cough.. like she's got something stuck in her throat.. then she sits down and is fine..
Kel, why does no one suspect kennel cough? This is exactly what Frankie did when he had it. Exactly!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh geez, forgive me. I haven't read everything.

Frankie wasn't treated for KC, just let it run it's course. Lasted a month. Some vets say treating for KC is a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm doubting it's KC.. the antibiotics made zero difference.. not even a little.. plus the yellow tornado didn't get it.. i almost wish he had.. at least i'd know.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Tuck wouldn't get it right away Kel, it's got a incubation period of up to 14 days. How long has she had it?

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, but it's exactly what Frankie had.

Whatever it is, did the vet recommend a cough suppressant to ease the cough?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She started coughing on Day 11 which would have made sense if it was KC and she caught it at the surgical vet's.. she'll be 4 weeks post-op on Thursday.. tuck would have showed signs by now.. she's been home for over 3 weeks.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
OK I'll zip it now. After all, I haven't been KEEPING UP.

I hope they figure it out and it clears up soon. :)

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
hmm.. the vet thought allergy was possible.. if the xrays don't show anything, they're going to stuff a tube down her and look for something else.. honestly, i have no idea.. she does this hacking cough thing more than the reverse sneezing.. hack hack hack.. BIG GACK cough.. like she's got something stuck in her throat.. then she sits down and is fine..

I'm tryinig to get it on video..but she's not cooperating. =)
Has she been eating grass at all? Almost sounds like what Abbey was doing when she had an upset stomach.. it's like their way of soothing a sore throat or something weird like that.. I forgot what the vet said exactly. I couldn't get a stool sample from Abbey because it was literally like watery, but the vet checked the little bit that I brought it and decided to do a round of Panacur. It went away... so I think it was Giardia or something.

Just be careful with endoscopy.. it gets very expensive VERY fast. I would try everything else before that. How is her stool? Normal??

1 - 20 of 33 Posts