Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Kind of surprised they used the twin towers but I guess they needed something people would recognize. I wonder when or if they will reveal to Peter he is from the other side.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think he is from the other side.. he was sick as a child.. but that doesn't mean is alter universe self was.. maybe they took him from there after he died in this universe.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope this show is renewed. I hate it when they get their hooks in me and then get cancelled.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I'm only a partial watcher of this show, I watch the beginning, walk the dogs, and then see the end. As a result, I rarely know what the hell is going on. However, I'm really not in favor of using the death of thousands of people and the image of the twin towers to give people a creepy moment on a television show.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only a partial watcher of this show, I watch the beginning, walk the dogs, and then see the end. As a result, I rarely know what the hell is going on. However, I'm really not in favor of using the death of thousands of people and the image of the twin towers to give people a creepy moment on a television show.
I did not see it that way - I saw it as a device to establish a difference without obvious time shift stuff (like flying cars or transportation by horseback).

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I did not see it that way - I saw it as a device to establish a difference without obvious time shift stuff (like flying cars or transportation by horseback).
So you don't think it was designed to have built-in shock value? Any number of things could have been used instead, for instance a different president on the front of the newspaper in Spock's office would have been easy.

To me you don't use the twin towers for entertainment or profit purposes.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What, Peter is from the other side?!

I tried to watch lastnight since everyone raves about it, but I just couldn't follow it. I've seen 2 or 3 other episodes, but just thought of it as just another crime solver show. *shrugs*

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
They're talking about it over at ew.com. Here's a comment:

As a New Yorker, the twin towers will always hold a place in my heart when thinking of the New York skylines. However, nothing drove the point of being in a parallel world more than seeing those towers still standing. Bravo to J.J.Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci for taking an artistic chance on a network. That chance has now hooked me for next season.
I kind of think that's what they were going for (bolded by me.)

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you don't think it was designed to have built-in shock value? Any number of things could have been used instead, for instance a different president on the front of the newspaper in Spock's office would have been easy.

To me you don't use the twin towers for entertainment or profit purposes.
I think it was designed as a WTF moment. I don't think that this show would do something subtle like what you suggest (I think many might miss that unless there was a direct reference).

Do you watch Rescue Me? They have a central theme revolving around 9/11 and the WTC. It is entertainment and certainly for profit - but the firefighters love that show.

I think that the image of the WTC is a hot button for sure, but don't think that means we should never see it in the context of being a NYC landmark anymore.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts