Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you know, I really don't know that much about breeding...so for those who do, I wondered what you thought of this breeder:

http://www.greymontkennel.com/index.html

My friend has a pup from here. He's about nine months old and they are trying to make a decision now whether they want to think about breeding him. I asked if he had Ch's in the past couple of generations, and she says he does. So...? What say the experienced breeders? The Web site looks nice to me, but again, I don't really know what to look for.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Connie, send them Dani's link! :happy:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Im not an expert either but I think they look legit. On their Sire and Dam pages they have family tree history and titles won. Cant find anything on health testing but they look good

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jzgrlduff said:
Connie, send them Dani's link! :happy:
Oh of course I've already done that! :laugh:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would still appreciate input. Should I have put "Silver" Lab in the title to get people to read? ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I'm afraid that if they've read Dani's flowchart and are still intent on breeding, that there will be scant you can do to dissuade them.

But if they plunge ahead and things go badly, you are herewith authorized to give the biggest I TOLD YOU SO of your life!!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Well, were they sold the dog on limited registration..at first glance, that would be the only flaw in this kennel. If they are not working they dog to title or worrying about clearances, then they need to neuter and be done with it.

What does the breeder say?

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Why are they making that decision now? He is too young to have his hips/elbows cleared, right? I would think that he would be too immature to make any real decision on him yet.

Am I correct in that almost all of their dogs are imported? Also are these field dogs (is that what the FC means?)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you guys.

Dani, no to limited registration.

She seems to be interested in doing her research and trying to do it the right way - but they are very much novices at this. And you guys know how I feel about adding to pet overpopulation. OTOH, I hate to discourage *everyone* from breeding just because of how I feel about homeless animals. I wondered if maybe she did have a dog who was decent enough to consider it, if I should cut her some slack and try to be helpful.

Labby, I sent her the link to your articles in Dani's stickied thread.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kal3idoscope said:
Well IMO, people will do what they want to do regardless of what you tell them. If I were you, I would send them as much info as I could about the pros and cons, and maybe just a little bit extra on the cons.. ;)
Yep, I think you're right about that. Labby's page in Dani's thread does a pretty good job of expressing my feelings about it. :D

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
AngusFangus said:
kal3idoscope said:
Well IMO, people will do what they want to do regardless of what you tell them. If I were you, I would send them as much info as I could about the pros and cons, and maybe just a little bit extra on the cons.. ;)
Yep, I think you're right about that. Labby's page in Dani's thread does a pretty good job of expressing my feelings about it. :D
I mean you're doing the "right" thing and trying to educate them so that if they do it, they'll at least do it right. That's about all you can do.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kal3idoscope said:
AngusFangus said:
kal3idoscope said:
I mean you're doing the "right" thing and trying to educate them so that if they do it, they'll at least do it right. That's about all you can do.
Yes! I hope so anyway. True, that's all you can do...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
AngusFangus said:
As you know, I really don't know that much about breeding...so for those who do, I wondered what you thought of this breeder:

http://www.greymontkennel.com/index.html

My friend has a pup from here. He's about nine months old and they are trying to make a decision now whether they want to think about breeding him. I asked if he had Ch's in the past couple of generations, and she says he does. So...? What say the experienced breeders? The Web site looks nice to me, but again, I don't really know what to look for.
Ask them, on what kind of positive: "thing" they could add to the Labrador Retriever breed ... Just having a good behaved, and good looking Labrador isnt enough for start with breeding (if you ask my opinion). Als in my opinion, it must add some good things to the breed of the Labrador Retriever, because there are already so many people who breed with out doing good to the breed and the legacy of the Labrador Retriever ;)

And yes! .. The website looks nice, but dont tell me anything about them (the people), and their dogs ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I would say because of the pups age they should campaign him at dog shows for a year before they make a decision. If the dog does well and recieves points and judges like him then that would be a good sign that the pup is a good prospect. If the pup keeps getting passed by the judges then that would be a pretty staight forward answer. Now if he only does OK at shows he still might be a good prospect if he is an outstanding field/performance dog and they are very careful on finding the proper ***** to compliment him. The whole purpose of confirmation shows is to prove good breeding stock.
I Think the above plan of attack will also help to educate them on what is a really good dog for breeding and may also put them in contact with others that may want to mentor them and or help them out.

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Not an expert by far, but after reading this:
Greymont Kennels breeds and trains black, yellow, and fox red British Labrador puppies for the serious hunter who desires a capable companion in the field, or for the family interested in a lovable and loyal pet. The intent of our breeding program is to produce a physically sound and healthy animal that meets the highest standards of conformation and performance.
I wonder why then they don't show any conformation or performance titles on any of their breeding stock, OR clearances?

We won't even get into the whole British vs American lab misnomers... unless of course, their dogs are British ie imported from Britain?
British Labrador Retrievers possess an extremely calm nature and a keen intelligence, making them a pleasure to own. Our labs are bred to maintain their traditional qualities of strength, power, and endurance, along with an inherent quiet temperament.

Was the pup sold on a limited registration? And at 9 months, he'd be too young for elbows and hips, no? Have they shown the 9 month old?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good points about showing. No, they have not shown him. And as you said, it doesn't look like any of his predecessors were shown in conformation either.

I am betting this breeder would advise them that conformation titles are not necessary for breeding.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
The kennel is obviously a field based kennel, so they won't show in conformation. Their dogs wouldn't do well, based on what I've seen in the pictures.

You might bring the economy into the discussion too. ;) It's hard enough for reputable breeders to sell puppies right now and we have years and years of getting our names out there. Gonna be real hard for an unknown person to sell their pups. What are they gonna do with pups that don't sell?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
labby said:
The kennel is obviously a field based kennel, so they won't show in conformation. Their dogs wouldn't do well, based on what I've seen in the pictures.

You might bring the economy into the discussion too. ;) It's hard enough for reputable breeders to sell puppies right now and we have years and years of getting our names out there. Gonna be real hard for an unknown person to sell their pups. What are they gonna do with pups that don't sell?
Mmm...me likey that angle! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts